Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Recommended size for a beginner?

Kasye

Reaction score
I was wondering what would be the best size for me to buy an axolotl at. I'm looking at between 3-5 inches, would it make much of a difference to get a 3 instead of a 4 or 5 inch? I figure larger axolotls would be more hardy, but my question is, does it make much of a difference? I know a 3 inch would have to be kept without substrate, and I've kept my tank barebottomed for now just in case. I've never owned an axie before, but I keep many fish, so I'm very familiar with the care and will being doing my best to keep the axie healthy, but I wanted some opinions on what size I should order.

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
In my opinion, any size would be okay as long as they're healthy! :) The little guys I have now I just bought yesterday and they're about 2-3 inches each and a few months old.. They're eating well and seem super happy and healthy so far!
But you're right in saying that a bigger one would be hardier, as they only get stronger as they grow! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kasye

Reaction score
Oh, I'm only getting one! (For now, haha, until I get addicted) But thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1