Hides

Jack P

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Axolotls
Hides. Soooo... I was wondering, I was hoping to make 2 or 3 hides out of slate. I would glue the slate into a box like structure with a hole. Could I use regular slate from a store or would i need to bake that? I would use fish safe glue from Petco and make sure that nothing would get hurt... Would this be ok or would it hurt the Axolotls

Thanks,
- Jack

Slate from an aquarium store should be fine, don't buy roofing slate or anything that contains fungicide's or algicide's as this will harm your Axolotls, its also best to avoid slate that seems to have excessive amount of iron ore running through it. Make sure you shave off any sharp edges since when Axolotls swim round the tank at high speed they can cut them selves. Also, give the slate a good scrub with warm water before using it. The aquarium grade glue should be fine too.

I got some slate when I first set my tank up. As Chris says, make sure it doesn't contain anything that could harm your pet, and check the edges.
The slate that I used was actually a food chopping board and I gave it a scrub in hot water before putting it in the tank. 3 months later it is still in use as a feeding area and my 3 juvenile axolotls have been fine with it.
Best of luck making your hide and don't forget to post pictures when it is complete. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back