Gonna be a new Axie owner soon, and i have a few questions.

Maple128

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey there! I'm a new member from the great white north and I have been stalking this forum now for few months. Im going to be picking up a pair of axies in about 5 days or so, (one leucistic, one wild type, not sure about exact length, probs 3-4 in) Now I know the basic low down on their care, but i'm struggling in a few areas and thought I would ask! So I have a small tank prepared and cycled (a 5 gal, yes i know it's small, but i'm moving in a month and have a 29 gallon ready to be set up for them one i've moved, so this would be temporary, i'm prepared for regular water changes). Now for diet, what I have easily affordable as well as accessible is;

-Frozen blood worms
-lean meats from time to time
-frozen brine shrimp
- without a worm farm, earthworms seasonally
-ocasional mealworm
-I have been eyeing http://www.amazon.com/Pellets-Grower-Shrimp-Axolotls-Bottom/dp/B01CKK7MXA?ie=UTF8&keywords=axolotl%20pellets&qid=1459398954&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3 as a food sourse (have acsess to a us shipping adress) but was wondering if they would be sutable for axies.

Next is tank temperature fluctuation
at night, it averages 67-8
during the day a high of 71-2
I was wondering if this is still within the ok not gonna kill an axie range? I know no higher than 74, but is 72 at them MAX still safe?

and any other tips and tricks would be appreciated! Thx for any help! And thanks for this forum, the research it has provided and my non stop random facts for the past month convinced my parents to let me get a third and final aquarium OTL

Hi Maple and welcome to the forum. :happy:
I haven't been here long, but did the same as you and hung around the forum, as well as some other sites, for several months whilst researching axolotls prior to purchase.
When you collect yours please post photos as we always love to see what people have. Yours will love their 29 gallon tank when you move and you seem very well organised, congratulations.
Now on to your food list. It seems as if you have a good, varied diet organised for them. When I got my first 3 axis they were around 4 inches and I fed them mainly frozen blood worms and pellets very similar to those on the Amazon link. High protein (40% plus) and low fat (less than 15-20%) is suitable, so the ones you found should be great. When I fed my youngsters bloodworms I found that using a small dish (lid from a jar) stopped the worms from contaminating the whole tank and the little axis got used to eating from it quite quickly. They soon moved on to baby earthworms, which were much easier. You may find yours like and dislike certain foods, so try things and see how it goes. It might also be worth finding a bait shop or internet supplier for earthworms as they are considered the most appropriate major part of a diet for axolotls.
Temperature is very important. Optimum temperature is 60 - 64F. Your night temperature would be ok, but it might be worth trying to keep your day temperature down, perhaps by using a fan at the top of the tank to help with evaporation to lower temperature. In your current smaller tank I wouldn't suggest using frozen water bottles as the drop in temperature would be so big it would also stress your axolotls. Perhaps water bottles from the refrigerator would be ok instead. Basically they could manage at 72F, but they would be a bit stressed and if you had a particularly warm day it would leave no room for error.
I hope that has helped. Sorry for the long ramble, but I'm relatively new and still get a bit over-excited talking about axolotls (I now have 6).
You will also find a lot of way more experienced people on this forum who will comment and help to answer your questions, so please get advice from as many of the more experienced people as possible, but I think you sound as if you have done a lot of good research already.
Best of luck with your new pets and I hope you enjoy them. :D

Those pellets aren't really suitable - the first ingredient is soya beans.
'Meat' isn't suitable food, raw fish is much better.
Frozen brinesheimp isn't worth it for larger axies (over 3") as they are just too small.
Temp will be fine, tanks usually sit at 3-5 degrees below ambient.

One thing we should double check, is that your tank is definitely cycled.

What are the test results for your Ammonia, Nitrite, NitrAte, and PH?

Best diet is earthworms and pellets, and they cause less mess in the tank. I wouldn't use meat my self either. You should be able to buy earthworms online delivered to your door.I think salmon pellets are more suitable but you need to check the ingredients, hikari carnivore pellets are used by various users of this forum.Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

72 is too high and could lead to fungal issues or stress. 67 is just right, but its not always easy to maintain a constant temperature, is it your house heating that causes the temperature rise? Is there no way you can make the room your tank is in cooler? Otherwise you could look at cooling methods such as fans, tank lids that allow evaporation, or a chiller.
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/104649-planning-future-axolotls-wanna-help-me.html#post456362

Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

Ok guys thanks for the advice!
yup everything's properly cycled, it's been up and running for about 3 months now (was a guppy tank for a while, they're gone now)
ammonia and nitrites are 0
Nitrates are 26ppm
PH is 6.9

I guess i'm going to be ordering some worms as well as some pellets from a different source (it's ok, found a good supplier Axolotl pellets online Their reasonable with shipping) I'll scrap the meats idea so I think i'll stick too
-Frozen blood worms
-Axie pellets
-Worms (local selling red wigglers, going to try a compost)
-and as a treat, occasional mealworm

Now the heat issue is the house, it tends to warm up pretty quick (no worries in new place! it's got central air) so i'm thinking I might just have to bring a giant fan into my room until we move to cool it off. Today it's been better, sticking around a 67-70, but more cool air will be brought in soon haha. Again thx! and i'll post pics when i get my hands on the little guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back