Pale Gills

S

sara

I've two new axolotls, albino, and I've just notice one is very very pale, with pale gills, he's still quite active with a huge appetite I was just wondering if that's normal? The other one is more pink in colour with deep red gills, also eat VERY well and active.
Am I over reacting?

Also my axies have been handled, should I use something to protect their skin, a slime coat or something?
What sort of products in the UK are good for them?

Personaly i think u are over reacting diferent axolotls have different colours and they shouldnt need anything to handle them aslong as ur hands are clean and dont have any soap/chemicals on them they will be fine

Thanks for the tolerance!
It was only once to move them from tank to tank.
Thanks for calming my nerves...

Just to let you know they are both leucistics. Leucistic axies are white with dark eyes. Albinoes are white with pinkish/reddish eyes; but some people mistake the leucs for albinos because they're white.

Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If your tank is cycling at all, do not add anything other than dechlorinator/water ager to your water. No need for ph up or downs or ammonia lock or similar products as this can muck up your cycling, if it is cycling.

Does Artemis constantly look like that with his gills both resting and eating? How long have you had him and has he constantly looked like this even prior to getting him? Just that he looks like Brodie and Fifi, two of our axies gills went white 4 weeks after we got them. see following photo of Brodie - sorry it's not the best but the best we had at the time this happened earlier this year.
74226.jpg

A later picture of Brodie is under my name

(Message edited by kapo on December 05, 2006)

Sarah,

Please do not post links to pictures as this is against the policies here. You can upload pictures to the forum.

Ed

Ah, I had a feeling they were, but the pet store had them marked as albinos... I'm sort of coming to the conclusion not to trust them on the specific.
happy.gif

I've had them both a couple of days, the gills were white at the pet shop too (I've had my eyes on them for two weeks now...)
I've been using dechlorinator/water ager... I've got to get used to these terms... I'm such a silly newbie with the language.
That's how he looks all the time, he/she sometimes gets a tiny bit pinker, but not much.
I have been testing for the nitrite etc and they've been ok and on level with the numbers given here, which the site has been great for btw, I love the spefic info.
Again, thanks for the time and understanding!

He he, thanks, Artemis only has three legs though, she (I've finally remembered to sex them) tucks the deformed one (It's all twisted)behind her back to swim and walk about, its odd.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back