Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Aquarium Gravel Vac"

G

glen

Hi everyone - i have seen someone mention an aquarium gravel vac on here - do they do exactly what they say on the tin? Or is there more to it? Also, any ideas where i can pick one of these up? And how much they cost?

Or should i just ditch the gravel and replace it with sand?

So many questions, i do apologise but any info will be gratefully received!

N

natashja

first yes ditch the gravel axies may swallow it and get blockede up.

to get a gravel vac i would try ebay or your local pet store, what they do is stire up the substrate and vacume out all the nastys.

hope this helpede

G

glen

Thanks Tashja! Yes it has helped me to make my mind up!
happy.gif

K

karrie

I agree with Natashja, get rid of gravel and get sand. I would get the smallest one you could find it wont suck up so much sand. I got a big one ended up buying 2.

A

amber

I just use a chunky bit of flexible pipe - like hosepipe.

Much easier, faster and cheaper.
Regulator design built in - it's your thumb.
You can quick start it using filter outflow, or just submerge it and release the other end into bucket.

N

natashja

i admite i cheate too, i use an old external pump without filterbaskets and a long hose so the water is led outside to water my plants (see eco aware no wastig water here)
biggrin.gif
no mess no fuss.

C

cinnamon

I found my gravel filter (I use it to vacuum my river rocks once a week) at Wal-mart for less then $6. Before I got that I was using a hose. Hey! Is there anything wrong with putting the other end of the hose onto my filter end and the water gets sucked through the hose and through the filter and back in the tank? Because personally that's what I do unless I think (After a water test) the water needs a bit of change. Then I put it in a bucket and then pour it on my garden.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!