My Cynops Orientalis 'Project'

Has anyone idea how close to metamorphosis this guy is? It's just over three months old.

From the looks of it, he's getting very close to morphing. The adult coloration is a sure sign that metamorphosis is just around the corner, and three months old seems about right.

On a personal note, the larvae all look fantastic! Great job so far!

Yes, time to add the floating cork bark, or turtle platform or whatever you choose to use. You will have land dwellers very soon.

I would get those fruit fly cultures and pinhead crickets ready ahead of time!

Congrats!

Congratulations! I am following your project now. I wish I had found it sooner, but I will be watchful of it from now on. I do find it very fascinating. Perhaps I have a slight bias with the Cynops Orientalis Project, being that I have three of these lovely creatures in my own home. I think mine might be just a little too young to begin breeding at this time. Perhaps next year I will be glad I followed you on your adventure! ;)

Best of luck! I will be eagerly awaiting more updates as things progress. :happy:

Critter Mom

Nathan and Johnny, thanks, it's great to know that my first morph will be arriving soon; I can't wait! I've ordered some 2-3mm crickets in anticipation. What terrestrial set-up did you opt for, to house the juveniles? I was planning on using compost, and some moss taken from the garden, as substrate. Do you think this would work?
Critter Mom, thanks, I'll be sure to keep updating the thread. Hopefully I'll be able to post a photo of a morph soon. It's been an enriching experience raising the larvae; it's heightened my appreciation for the species, witnessing them develop right from the point at which the eggs were laid.
I'll keep you all posted!

Last edited:
The first morph is such a brilliant experience...by the looks of it, it will still be a week or so before those morph.
Good luck with them when the time comes, as you know it´s quite a delicate phase, but i´m sure you´ll do well. Enjoy!

Cool. In that particular larva - now in a tilted tub set-up, on its own - colouration is continually developing; I've noticed that the soles of the feet have developed a definite yellow patch, aswell as the shoulders at the front legs. I've glimpsed the larva taking gulps from the surface too. Consequently, the only sign I can trust myself to rely on is gill size; no noticeable reduction yet. I'm waiting eagerly.
A quick question. In the photograph of the slanted tub in the 'raising from eggs' article - http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/raising.shtml - I noticed there's some sort of material placed to aid the larva in climbing from the water; I plan to add that to my tilted tub; what material would work best?
A tedious question, I know. I'm being unbelievably cautious and don't wish to polute the water or poision the larva!
Cheers guys.

Nice Pics, but I was just wondering, what plants should I use with mine?

hey Karl, your project looks great. congrats.
i have one sole survivor that appears to be at the same stage your guys are at.
i'm on the edge of my seat 'til 'he' morphs.

i'm curious to know did you keep the eggs in the enclosure with the parents? or did you harvest the eggs immediately?

Nah it just happens. It´s not like she lays every day...she may stop for a week, regain strength and then lay again...she does that for 9 months on end. I don´t do anything special (they are at room temp year round)...i just think as long as they are healthy, well fed, and well housed, they´ll behave like that.

agreed.
my female has been constantly laying eggs for at least 4 months with a few days break every week or so.
the amount of procreation that is happening in that tank, i assumed life must be good for them.

nice

was just thinking "I'll ask caudata about how my c. orientalis larvae change between pale and dark", and here I find the thread I would have posted had I posted it, posted by someone from my own town. Good stuff Karl!

The point about delaying morphing as long as possible seems a good one, I have several all in different set ups, but I think I will put them all in the big dirty water setups, it seems best in many ways and reduces workload too.
When kept in shallow water gill biting is a real problem, even when there is cover, barriers and adequate space.

Re: nice

Hey Sam, I've just read this post, after posting on your profile; didn't realise you had C. Orientalis larvae too, how're they doing?

Blackwolf25, I kept mine in tanks with cabomba and elodea trimmings; I used quite a generous amount of plants when I noticed one particular larva had been nibbled on by its conspecifics. This set-up seems to have worked well. I think Java Moss is widely used, though I managed with what I had available.

Robot5000, I removed most of the eggs immediately. Though, towards the end of the egg-laying, I started leaving eggs in the tank, and I currently have two larvae surviving in the tank with the parents.

First morph!

Last night I had the good fortune of actually witnessing the most developed larva climb out of the water and morph!
I was taken by surprise; I thought that maybe I'd misjudged when metamorphosis was going to occur, though, whilst I was trying to feed him last night, he avoided the food and walked out of the water.
Initially I thought he had 'beached' himself, but he didn't seem to be in any sort of distress.
Here's a rough picture, whilst he's in an improvised set-up:

DSC03527.jpg

A better picture to follow.
I need URGENT help; what should I do in regards to a more permanent set up?
I have potting compost, compost from a compost bin, regular soil, and mosses available, which of these would be good to use? Bearing in mind that the soil and mosses will be taken from my garden...
If anyone could offer an suggestions I'd be extremely grateful.
Cheers guys!

As long as your garden is pesticide free then any of the items you mentioned should be ok to use. Since they morph out pretty small, you'll want to use a pretty basic setup; slight layer of soil, a few places to hide, and maybe even a small water dish.

Thanks for the advice; he's now got a more permanent home established.

As promised, some better photographs:

DSC03536edit.jpg

DSC03541edit.jpg

Chuffed to bits!

can c. orientalis morphs climb upside down, i have first morph

Please use adequate capitalization and punctuation.
They should not be able to climb upside-down, so a rim of a few cms should be enough to stop them.
Congratulations on your first morph!

Please use adequate capitalization and punctuation.
They should not be able to climb upside-down, so a rim of a few cms should be enough to stop them.
Congratulations on your first metamorph!

I've been using this forum for years and I have always made sure to use correct grammar etc. Don't say anything like that to me again please, I was in a hurry if you must know. But thank you for the peace of mind regarding my morph.

About how long before my juvenile cynops returns to its aquatic stage? I've had it for about a year. It's relatively small, maybe two inches. Are there any signs I should be on the lookout for?

Well documented, this project has really helped prepare me for when my babies morph although I'lll be a nervous wreck by then. Kudos :p

The photos are excellent.

I noticed you mentioned your newt "yawning" - does anyone know why they do this? I have one aquatic newt and he doesn't do it and one terrestrial newt and he does it (especially at feeding time once he's ate).

Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back