Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Cabbage White" Caterpillars and other food questions

morphyrichards

Reaction score
Hi,
It's been a while since I posted anything on here. I have 2 axolotls, one at home and one in a tank in my classroom at work. Their usual food are worms which I find under pots etc. in my back yard. I think because the weather here is currently so hot and dry I can only find tiny worms at the minute, about an inch long at most and very thin.
My yard is currently being plagued by cabbage white caterpillars which are eating all my nasturtians and other plants. (I dont use any pesticides in my yard and it's pretty much isolated from anywhere else by high walls) I've tried feeding a few of these to my axy at home and he gobbles them up ...

I'm wondering if these will make a good temporary replacement for the worms during this hot dry spell? (I've read somewhere else that they can be quite fatty)

The axy at school wont accept the caterpillars but he will still eat live bloodworm. I'm hoping that these will be adequate for the coming weeks. Is this okay?

Thanks...

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Caterpillars are indeed high in fat. I would never consider them a substitute for earthworms.
Have you considered setting up a small worm culture? They are very easy to maintain and will provide you with earthworms during the winter and summer when collecting them becomes difficult. As a plus, you reduce your carbon imprint :p

Bloodworms are a poor staple. It doesn´t mean that problems will definitely appear after a short period, but i would make an effort in introducing some other foods that are rich in calcium to compensate.

morphyrichards

Reaction score
It wouldnt be a long term thing and I will still keep feeding the smaller worms that I'm getting currently. I suppose it's more of a supplement because the poor fella seems hungry constantly and I cant feed him enough with just the tiny worms. He had one this evening and now he's happily watching Eastenders through the glass of his tank which means he's happy. He swims around all over the place constantly and waves at me when he's hungry.

I do have a wormery but it needs constant replenishing, not enough room out back for a barrel sized tub unfortunately.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!