"Can't resist" foods for axolotls?

Anna F

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just wondering if there are any foods that your axolotl has been unable to resist, no matter HOW picky they are? I have a golden albino that has GOT to be the most choosy axie on the face of this earth,lol.

Well, I don't have axies, but from what I have read/heard, earthworms are pretty irresistible.

The only time I have been able to get him to eat earthworm is when they are cut up small or very tiny ones. LOL, I guess he has his "standards".:)

Yeah, he used to like blackworms a lot more. I think what he likes best now are pieces of nightcrawler....

Nightcrawlers are a type of earthworm, have you tried blanching earthworms before offering them? Sometimes earthworms secrete a foul substance that axolotls don't like the taste of. Blanching kills the worm stopping them secreting the substance. Just run the worm under hot water for a second and then immediately cold (to stop it cooking).

If you only offer earthworms and nothing else he will eat them. How big is your axolotl?

Yup, I know they are earthworms...:) I suppose I should have clarified, he seems to like the pieces of nightcrawler when I can get him to eat, over red wiggler earthworms.
I never heard of blanching them, THANK YOU! I will certainly try it!

Fish. I always have some fresh water fish in the freezer that they get every now and then. I just buy a fillet, cut it in small pieces and stuck it in the freezer. Then I can get a few small pieces, defrost those in warm water and feed to my axies and they love it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back