Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs

jbherpin

Reaction score
Aside from FFs, is there another easily obtained food source? I would prefer to not culture FFs as they will not need that small of prey too long at all. Will they accept worm tips? I was reluctant to offer this as they feed on insects found in/on the bark of trees in the wild.

All my thanks!

A few pics to follow for reference. The metamorphs are quite small at the moment, about pinky nail sized.

JBear

Attachments

• IMG_2312 crop.jpg
    IMG_2312 crop.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_2323 crop.jpg
    IMG_2323 crop.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_2329 crop.jpg
    IMG_2329 crop.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_2330 crop.jpg
    IMG_2330 crop.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_2331 crop.jpg
    IMG_2331 crop.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 505
Reaction score
Those froglets are looking cool!

The pinhead crickets available at most pet stores might work. They can be gutloaded and dusted with calcium powder or other nutrient powder appropriate for froglets. If the pinheads are too quick for the froglets, you can pinch off their hindmost legs to slow them down.

I did feed tiny silkworms to a couple of panda bear froglets (I got them from Mulberry Farms). They'd probably work for these gray tree frogs, too. I'm not sure how well the silkworms ship this time of year.

Some tiny mealworms now and then would probably be okay.

And then there's also netting tiny insects from tall grass or from a porch light at night. On the Fourth, we saw an adult gray tree frog feeding at our friend's porch light, which had attracted loads of insects--midges, mosquitoes, etc. A toad had come out from under the porch to feast, too.

I'm not sure if this would work with froglets, but adult gray tree frogs do seem to have a pretty aggressive feeding response to an insect's legs grasping their snout. I would hold a moth or butterfly or mealworm up to the tree frog and let the insect's legs grip the tree frog's mouth, and the tree frog would soon gobble the insect. Maybe this response helps the frogs feed in the dark, or feed on quick, flying things like moths? Perhaps the same technique could be used for the froglets using tweezers with very tiny tips to hold the small food items.

Good luck!

jbherpin

Reaction score
Those froglets are looking cool!

The pinhead crickets available at most pet stores might work. They can be gutloaded and dusted with calcium powder or other nutrient powder appropriate for froglets. If the pinheads are too quick for the froglets, you can pinch off their hindmost legs to slow them down.

I did feed tiny silkworms to a couple of panda bear froglets (I got them from Mulberry Farms). They'd probably work for these gray tree frogs, too. I'm not sure how well the silkworms ship this time of year.

Some tiny mealworms now and then would probably be okay.

And then there's also netting tiny insects from tall grass or from a porch light at night. On the Fourth, we saw an adult gray tree frog feeding at our friend's porch light, which had attracted loads of insects--midges, mosquitoes, etc. A toad had come out from under the porch to feast, too.

I'm not sure if this would work with froglets, but adult gray tree frogs do seem to have a pretty aggressive feeding response to an insect's legs grasping their snout. I would hold a moth or butterfly or mealworm up to the tree frog and let the insect's legs grip the tree frog's mouth, and the tree frog would soon gobble the insect. Maybe this response helps the frogs feed in the dark, or feed on quick, flying things like moths? Perhaps the same technique could be used for the froglets using tweezers with very tiny tips to hold the small food items.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, it is appreciated!

JBear

jbherpin

Reaction score
...adult gray tree frogs do seem to have a pretty aggressive feeding response to an insect's legs grasping their snout. I would hold a moth or butterfly or mealworm up to the tree frog and let the insect's legs grip the tree frog's mouth, and the tree frog would soon gobble the insect.Good luck!

My adults have always hand fed when I rubbed their nose with food... Even when obtained from the wild as adults... They are very tame and docile frogs... Love them! When I was a child I would build towers for them to climb, and they would go to the top and simply perch.

JBear

Alex M

Reaction score
I think you should bite the bullet and feed them fruit flies, a single well loaded tub will keep many youngsters fed for a week, plus I see no need to culture as they'll soon be able to take larger prey. I breed both versicolor and chrysoscelis, and start them on FF, springtails and micro crickets - not sure I'd have the patience nor ability to remove the hind legs from the latter as was suggested above, neither is it needed as your young Hyla are quite capable of catching fully mobile crickets.

Cheers
Al

jbherpin

Reaction score
Some updates...

Any idea why the tad in pic 3 and 7 is so lightly colored? There are 2 like that...

JBear

Attachments

• IMG_2343 crop.jpg
    IMG_2343 crop.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_2356 crop.jpg
    IMG_2356 crop.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_2358 crop.jpg
    IMG_2358 crop.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2362 crop.jpg
    IMG_2362 crop.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_2366 crop.jpg
    IMG_2366 crop.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2368 crop.jpg
    IMG_2368 crop.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2371 crop.jpg
    IMG_2371 crop.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 427

jbherpin

Reaction score
A few more pics...

JBear

Attachments

• IMG_2373 crop.jpg
    IMG_2373 crop.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_2377 crop.jpg
    IMG_2377 crop.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2378 crop.jpg
    IMG_2378 crop.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_2381 crop.jpg
    IMG_2381 crop.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2385 crop.jpg
    IMG_2385 crop.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_2386 crop.jpg
    IMG_2386 crop.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 447

ed_moyer

Reaction score
Well, Jbear you know how long I've been breed things. an what I've found to be one of the best feeders an easiest to culture are little Kenyan roaches (Blaberidae sp. "Kenya")

jbherpin

Reaction score
Well, Jbear you know how long I've been breed things. an what I've found to be one of the best feeders an easiest to culture are little Kenyan roaches (Blaberidae sp. "Kenya")

Ed!!! Great to hear from you!!! Thank you for the feedback! The tads were in a pool tarp covering their pool. The person was wanting to use their pool but didn't want to kill the tads. I took them on to raise until metamorphosis. I am keeping them in the garage in all new tubs to make sure there is no issues in transporting them back to the wild. I will keep a few, maybe 2. I started out with 31. Lost 1 to a gas bubble, the rest are morphing FAST... I just wanted to ensure the best health while they were in my care... I have been feeding them garden insects, to give them a good start prior to release.

JBear

jbherpin

Reaction score
Update.

JBear

Attachments

• IMG_2393 crop.jpg
    IMG_2393 crop.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_2394 crop.jpg
    IMG_2394 crop.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_2396 crop.jpg
    IMG_2396 crop.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2399 crop.jpg
    IMG_2399 crop.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 471

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
If you are keeping some, I reccomend pinheads. They are great, because they will grow at kind of the same pace, so they can be set for a while

jbherpin

Reaction score
If you are keeping some, I reccomend pinheads. They are great, because they will grow at kind of the same pace, so they can be set for a while

Released all but 3. They were all well started with wild caught food. TY, the last set of pics were at the release point.

JBear

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!