Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby axie eats moths

H

hailz

i was feeding the little ones this morning, and there was a moth fluttering around, i just ignored it thinking it would go away until it landed in one of my baby axie tanks and then one of my little guys just grabbed it and it was gone! it wasnt sprayed with anything, and my axie seems fine, swimming around begging for more food etc. I just wanted to know if its ok for them to eat moths? i figured these would prob be a natural food source but just wanted to see what u guys think?

A

apryl

i guess if they eat worms from the garden a moth will be fine.people feed them crickets too,not sure where to get them from in NZ tho...

J

joan

I have never fed mine moths, but I gave one of the offspring to a friend of mine, and he fed it moths, says he loves 'em. *shrug*

R

rheann

The only thing I can think of is that Moth's can carry Horse Hair worms. Horse Hair worms from what I know only attack insects. they stay in the insects host body, eating the reproductive organs of it's host, and then eventually causes it's host to become "thirsty". The Host seeks out a water source, at which time the horse hair worm exits the carrier and enters the water. I don't think they will cause harm to your Axies, but just something to know about insects lol. I have a trouble dealing with worms. Earth worms are fine, blood worms are fine, but anything else just gives me the creeps! Makes me think twice before picking up Crickets and moths lol
hat.gif

H

hailz

lol, thanks guys,just wanted to double check. the funny thing is i didnt feed it to him on purpose, he just grabbed it before i could do anything,lol. He seems ok this morning and is still eating. i dunno if i could handle feeding crickets....they creep me out for some reason
sick.gif

V

vanessa

I feed mine moth babies (Meal worms) and he seemed happy eating them, I get a bit creeped out holding a live worm and I ended up using chopsticks to hold it out so my axolotl doesn't accidentially get my hand.

J

joan

Mealworms are beetle larvae. Waxworms are moth larvae. Mealworms creep me out too. They have strong jaws which may be dangerous to your axolotl, so I'd recommend crushing the head first before feeding.

J

john

hailz,
Just wondering, are the lil ones u refured to the ones in ur pix? Also I think that the moth wont hurt ur lil guies.

~John

L

laura

Yeah, you def. have to crush the heads. I have heard that they can eat the axie from the inside out, which noone wants - EVER!
cry.gif

S

suzanne

I actually decapitate my mealworms (yeh i know pretty horrid)...at the same time i use the tweezers to crush the remaining jaws so there is less chance of 'biting'.
Personally I'd prefer not to feed mealworms, but my guy loves em, and will only eat little amounts of everything else, so I feed them off and on as treats.
Stubborn so and so lol...
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1