'shrimp'

greta

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Greta
hi everyone,
I've noticed with lots of admiration that people have shrimp with their axies... where shoul i be looking to find some of my own? and should i still be asking for 'shrimp' as this can be synonymous with 'prawn' in oz.
Thanks
bowl.gif

Glass shrimp, particularly Caridina Japonica (also known as multidenta). Amano shrimp are good, Paleomontes are ok too.

Hope that helps!

Dwarf shrimp of the Neocaridina sp. example: red cherry shrimp are good

I use dual action cleanup in my tank. Palaemonetes with some Neocaridina hybrids. the palaemonetes are sold as "ghost shrimp" where i live and they eat larger food particles. Looks like they are eating sausages when they get a blood work. The Neocaridina eat smaller particles and algae. They zip arround the tank like little bumble bees. Good things about these 2 is they will reproduce in your tank, so you wont have to buy shrimp unless something bad happens.

I don't know what is available in Australia but check some shrimp/aquarium forums.

I can't seem to find Neos in the UK, only C.Multidenta (previously named Japonica) - and they need brackish.

My paleos didn't breed, but they were too busy snipping off each others antennae I assume.

from what i know Caridina Japonica are the "Amano Shrimp" Their babies need the brackish.

Here is a good fact sheet if you havnt read it
http://www.petshrimp.com/amanoshrimp.html

Your Paleomonetes have some longer claws? It is very clear you have kept a different, more aggresive specie than me. Could be a european specie such as Palaemonetes varians which is not ture freshwater but i have read that some Eurpoean Palaemonetes are sold in the UK for the aquarium. I have to find article. You should post a pic of your shrimpies. There are some great shirmp sites, if you can read German.

Oh found it! here is the article about ghost shrimp in the UK!
http://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=2088&highlight=ghost+shrimp

anyways, post shrimp pics if you have some. I am just curious on how they look like because they display such different behavior than mine.

Actually, I think you're right about the Varians - she has a slight reddish tinge.
She's got quite small claws, and proportional arms. I don't actually know where these were imported from, or even if they were bred here. I'll see if the guy I got them from knows.
My German is pants, but I read better than I speak.

I may have a very bad photo somewhere - it was just before she shed, so she looks very white and cloudy, whereas she's much clearer.

I'll dig it out when I get home.

Oooh, I HATE hate HATE common names lol!

So if I'm understanding well, it's no problem to keep shrimps with Axies ??? Interesting, I thought they couldn't make it with anyone ?
What about frogs ? can they also make it with frogs ?

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

that should tell you about froggies. It basically says: NO WAY...

seriously, that article should be a pinned topic on the newbie section or something. Now that I think of it, do we even do pinned topics? I can think of a few that should be.

(Message edited by mantighoul on November 08, 2006)

The issue with other amphibians is that ALL amphibs release a toxin when stressed, or put with something new.
Whilst the shrimp can ignore this due to their hardy biology, amphibians have more delicate skin, and can easily succumb.

The only reasonyou can have same species together is because they're immune to their own poisons.

I'm keeping Bombina Orientalis soon - they release a most potent toxin from their pores...

Thanks for the answer, I just installed my two Axies in a bigger aquarium (300 l) and there is stil a bit place over ! So I will go for some brother and sister for my axies and maybe 2-3 shrimps. Sorry for the stupid questions, but everybody need to learn....

Don't forget the 30 day quarantine rule then.

Shrimps - sorry the photos aren't good, they're old ones.

2005_0101Spyyk0005.jpg

shrimp2.jpg

very similar to my shrimp, except the foraging arms are a bit longer.
when they swim they remind me of spiders-water spiders.

and the Neocaridina remind me of bees-my little water bees.

Water bees - what a great name!
I've decided I will have a shrimpery, see if I can find any of the dwarf species to go in it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back