Confused

T

theresa

I was reading on Axolotl.Org in the Frequently asked Questions, that it is fine to have two Axies in a 10 gallon tank. Is this true ?
Also, I see many of you have more than one in your tanks. if they are not social, and don't care if they are all alone, why? Do you see a difference in their behavior with more than one? Do they seem happier alone or with another?? All experiences appreciated !

i just like to collect the whole set haha (and i take sick ones home if i find them)! im hoping to pick up a albino soon, first i have ever seen in nz so its guna cost a fair whack.
i think it depends on the floor space of the tank... axies really only need enough water to cover them. and im hopeless at gallons so im not sure of the standard measurements for them :p

Interesting about colour, in different countries. Here in the US, I've seen more Albino's.

So, I'm still curious about whether I can have 2 in a ten gallon tank, as it says on axalotl .Org? Do you notice any behavior differences?

personally i have noticed a difference in behavoiur with two, they stay out the caves more and not as shy. i dont no about keeping two in a 10 gallon tank, i live in nz and we dont use gallons we use liters.

Mine seem to enjoy each others company. I have a 60 gallon tank, it is four feet long, one foot wide and 21 1/2 inches tall. Even with all that room, my axolotls like to pile up on the end and hang out with together. It is so cute
happy.gif
. I have 6 axolotls, so it is fun to watch them interact.

Theresa, I would not keep two in a ten gallon tank. That would be pretty cramped for them. A 20 gallon long tank is better, not the regular type. I had a regular 20 gallon tank, and it was really cramped, but I also had three axolotls in that tank, and i had been planning to upgrade to the big tank.

I would just suggest if you would like to get two, get a 20 gallon long tank, and if you have a home depot near you, you can get fine grain or grainy natural play sand, 50 pound bag for around $4. Much better than getting a small two pound bag of sand from a pet store for $8. What a rip off!

does anybody know how to convert gallons to litres?. that is a rip off rheann but just keep in mind that the sand in pet stores has probly been cared for a lot more that at the building centers ie. cleaned and stuff like that. but even still its a huge rip off when you can just clean the stuff from the building center yourself.

Thanks everyone... There seems to be allot of room in my tank , and if they like to pile up..... BUT, I will try to refrain from getting him a buddy....!
Rheann, i already have sand in the tank, my lfs had buckets of it, already washed etc. I only needed to do a good rinse. thanks again!

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>alex dainty wrote on Friday, 23 December, 2005 - 13:39 :</font>

"does anybody know how to convert gallons to litres?. "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

A liter is about 1/4 of a gallon. The equivalent is very close, something like 1.06 or 1.08.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back