Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nikon D40 vs Nikon D60

merk199

Reaction score
Ok I have been looking into getting a SLR. I have been considering the D40. Is the only difference between the D40 and D60 the megapixels, and the D60 camera body can autofocus? My real confusion besides my everyday confusion :rolleyes: is on the lens themselves. I am looking to be able to take pictures of my newts, fish, and etc, but I would also like to be able to take pictures of my kids or general type of photographs. Is there one lens for all? Or do I need two lenses. I see people are recommending the 18-55mm is that correct?

ghostsaw

Reaction score
the 18-55mm is the kit lens that comes with these camera if you buy them together....the d60 has the same lens but a VR version..shake reduction....I have a friend who has the d60 and they really like it. When I was looking for a camera I was dead set on buying a d40 till I held one in my hand very light and very small. I ended up buying a older d50 which was alittle bigger and heavier. Now I got a d200 with a battery pack on and it is twice the size of the d50. But I would check out the feel of the camera to seeif you like how it "handles" These "newer cameras cannot use autofocus on older lenses because they do not have a internal motor like the older d50 or d80. The motor is built into the newer lenses. IF you did get one with a 18-55mm lens you could buy some close up filters for macro. I would also suggest a external falsh because the built in flash won't hit a "close-up" subject....I would check out the sony dslr they don't cost as much and have less exspensive lenses. My other buddy has one and he likes it alot it has a flip lcd screen. just do as much research as you can before you buy to see what is best for you.................................................................................

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
The D60 does not have an autofocus screw - it needs AFS lenses. There's a nice comparison table on this page by Thom Hogan (it compares to the D90 and the D5000 too) - scroll down until you see the table in the Basics Section:

http://bythom.com/nikond60review.htm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!