Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Harrassing fruitflies

xxianxx

Reaction score
I have a fruit fly running around my monitor, presumably it is an escapee from my dart frog tank, generally I just squish them but with it being a bank holiday weekend in the UK (ie I get monday off on full pay so can get seriously hammered tonight!) I decided to chase it round my monitor with my cursor( just to mess with its head). After a couple of minutes I realized it always tried to escape anti clockwise, is this typical fruit fly behavior ? As to the particular species, I keep two, big ones and small ones, it's a small one or a baby big one.... probably .... I have no idea.

oceanblue

Reaction score
Despite masses of literature on fruit fly behaviour I don't think anyone has chased them with a cursor on a monitor in a research paper! Their behaviour is pretty stereotypical but I don't know if dfferent flies would all flee anti clockwise or if there would be a 50/50 split.

Two personal observations, most flies sitting on the outside of windows ignore objects from inside so I'm surprised fruit flies react to the surface of the monitor! Years ago, I observed a winged greenfly trapped in condensation on a window making a trail at 45 degrees directly towards a cactus in a pot on the green painted windowsill. My father said surely it couldn't see that as food, so I moved the cactus and the greenfly changed direction!

I hope your head doesn't feel to hammered tomorrow!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Thanks Bernard, I will try to replicate my results next bank holiday weekend with a larger sample of flies and three liters of cider.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!