Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help Request (DIcamp Scat)+ Some Dicamp Pics

PNWHerper

Reaction score
Hello Dicamp Enthusiasts,

I wanted to request help from those of you more seasoned in Dicamptodon observation. I was out in location inhabited by Coastal Giant Salamanders (Dicemptodon tenebrosus) and I located several, including these 2 beautiful specimens:

IMG_1297%2520copy.jpg

IMG_1335%2520copy.jpg

In the same habitat, at what appeared to be a possible burrow was this pile of scat. Please verify that this is a Dicamp' scat. If you have photos of scats from captive or wild specimens, please post here. Here is the scat image:

IMG_1273%2520copy.jpg

This is part of a multi-year scientific study on salamanders and other herps, and any help would be HUGELY appreciated. Thank you!:D

sde

Reaction score
Interesting. I don't have much experience, just luck. I have found some impressive adult females in the past, but it wasn't like I went out in the field and found them, they were just in my well guarding eggs. I wish that I was better at finding this species. But I will learn. Anyway, those are some beautiful adults there. And the scat, to me, it looks like it is probably Dicamptodon scat. I keep T. Granulosa, and their scat looks very similar. I would guess it to be a Dicamp scat. I live in and near Dicamp habitat, but I don't get out and look for them much, but I should start doing it more. I know what I think is a really good habitat area that I may be able to find some nice specimens and sign in. I am just soo eager to learn. Would you consider sharing some info?

PNWHerper

Reaction score
Thank you, Seth. I appreciate the reply. Perhaps some folks that keep Dicamps will be able to add their 2 cents as well.

Regarding finding them, I can describe the general habitat to you. This is the first year I have had success finding this species. I have gone from having seen none before, to finding around 40-50 this year. Most of those where larva, of course.

The more I study this species, the more I think they are a stream salamander. Their larva seem to be most likely found in streams, and all of the transformed adults I have found this year were within a few meters of a stream.

They like cold, relatively fast flowing streams in well-forested areas. What sort of Dicamp habitat do you have around you?

sde

Reaction score
Your welcome! :D.

I have several books that describe good habitat as well. There used to be a multitude of dicamps in the stream by my house, but because of development uphill, it has gone almost completely dry, with water and dicamps alike. It makes me soo mad! :mad:. Now there are only a few spots that have decent amounts of decamps, but not nearly as many.

Yes, indeed a stream salamander. I have only found two records of them being in a lake, and both of those high mountain lakes. Have you found any in lakes? The terrestrial adults I have found have all been within a few feet or in the stream. The strange thing is that there is a nice cold, fast flowing stream in good healthy moist forest that has hardly any! :eek:. Maybe it was logged years ago and they are recovering from it.

Dicamptodon Tenebrosus is the species by me.

MarioR

Reaction score
Please verify that this is a Dicamp' scat. If you have photos of scats from captive or wild specimens, please post here.

I don't think is a Dicamptodon's scat. Normally it's a dark brown, cylindrical and quite stable mass with a lenght of up to 3cm/1,2''. I can't show it as I never took photos of my Dicamptodon's scat :wacko:
This looks more like worm scat to me.

Regards,
Mario

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!