Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

D. tenebrosus breeding behaviour question

MarioR

Reaction score
Although I think there's nothing new on this Genus I didn't read:
Any answers to my questions?

My group of 5 got a big enclosure (260x160cm / ~8x5ft) now and very naturalistic condistions.

Greets,
Mario

sde

Reaction score
Do you still have sand for a substrate? I personally would recommend river rocks or gravel, as it is much more like their natural habitat.
Any pictures?

MarioR

Reaction score
They never had sand as substrate, but I don't think they care about it at all.
They simply would like to have some grip.

Right now they have no ground in their enclosure but many big stones (10*10cm - 60*60cm).

I don't have any pictures in here right now because I moved to a new flat recently.

Greetings,
Mario

sde

Reaction score
Ah, I see. I saw the full tank shots and it looked like sand to me, but I see it is more of a fine gravel when I looked at the salamander close ups.

Have you achieved breeding or courtship behavior with this species since 2012? Is their new tank indoors or outdoors now? Do you know how many males and females you have? Sorry for all the questions, I just find this species very fascinating and would like to have a go at breeding them myself someday.
Also, I have had no luck finding the article you spoke of on the internet. Is it only in the AG Urodela Magazine?
Thanks! -Seth

MarioR

Reaction score
I couldn't see any further breeding behaviour since 2012 but I think that doesn't mean anything.

Their new enclosure is indoors too. Most important for me right now is to cool them down as far as possible. unfortunately the pumps that provide current (4 with 20000L/h together) also increase the temperature by 2°C.

I think I have 1,4. The male looks different, there is a sexual dimorphism as friends and me found out.

Here's the article: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwAuIiciTae1cFBpbTNCbEk4eFU/edit?pli=1

Greetings,
Mario

sde

Reaction score
Good luck in achieving breeding!

Cooling is a very important aspect of breeding success in this species I am sure, in the wild the temperatures can drop below 0c easily.

The cloaca in the male is larger. Have you noticed any other sexual dimorphisms?

Thanks very much for the article!

MarioR

Reaction score
The difference in cloacal shape and bulge was only visible when he was "in mood".

What french friends and me noticed are muscles around the jaws of males. It's close to what Siren show.

Greets,
Mario

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!