Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strauchii larvae - unequal growth rates?

Molch

Reaction score
Hi all,
update on my strauchii larvae: they are doing well, mostly. An interesting phenomenon has emerged, however:

I have 2 batches of larvae, about 2 -3 weeks apart, presumably from 2 different layings by 2 females. I have 2 males so the fathers may be different too.

In the second (younger) batch all grow at approximately the same rate, give or take a small percentage.

In the first(older) batch however, half of the larvae stopped growing a while ago while the other half soldiered on merrily and are now 3-4 times bigger than the stragglers.

how come?

the natural assumption would be that the stragglers aren't eating, but that's not the case. When I add food (chopped blackworms, bloodworms and earthworms) I can clearly see them eat and fill their bellies - they just won't grow anymore.

So, the predictable thing has started to happen: some of the stragglers have been eaten by their bigger siblings. :) Oh well, I figure that's Mama Nature's way, and fine with me since these stragglers clearly have something wrong with them and I assume they might not make it to metamorphosis anyways.

I wonder if the stragglers could have inherited a bum gene that hampers their growth. I'm wondering if anyone else raising strauchii has seen a similar phenomenon?

I have attached pics of both batches, taken a couple weeks ago - the size differences in the unequal batch have only increased since then.

Attachments

• younger batch - more or less equal.jpg
    younger batch - more or less equal.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 583
  • older batch - unequal growth rates.jpg
    older batch - unequal growth rates.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 464

velasco13000

Reaction score
You should separate the smaller ones from the bigger ones. While I agree that it's a good way of Mother Nature to eliminate the weaker ones they might of had a good chance of surviving and being healthy. It is a bit weird that they are growing at different rates. If they are all eating the same amount. Do you have all your adults in 1 tank, how big is your group and how big is the tank? Regardless congrats on your eggs and offspring :)

otolith

Reaction score
Crazy, I've never had a growth discrepancy like that. Every year there are always a few over achievers that outpace their siblings but that is remarkable. I would most likely have culled them too.

Molch

Reaction score
just a quick update: the remaining larvae did very well and grew into fine strapping lil newtlets, now all morphed and kept aquatically. They eat everything and look great. Will post pics soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1