Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

B. salamandrivorans in Ichthyosaura alpestris?

Coggie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reviewing the literature on Bsal for a while now, and I can't find any scholarly articles on the fungus in Alpine newts. A couple websites note that two individuals that had succumbed to the infection were discovered in Belgium earlier this year, but I can't find an original article that documents this. Does anyone happen to know more about what's going on with them? I realize that the research is ongoing and new enough that it may not have been published yet, but these sites had to have gotten this info from somewhere (and the Martel et al article that they tend to cite as a source doesn't seem to mention Alpines at all).

If anyone could direct me toward a resource that goes into more detail (which doesn't have to be in English), it would be appreciated.

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reviewing the literature on Bsal for a while now, and I can't find any scholarly articles on the fungus in Alpine newts. A couple websites note that two individuals that had succumbed to the infection were discovered in Belgium earlier this year, but I can't find an original article that documents this. Does anyone happen to know more about what's going on with them? I realize that the research is ongoing and new enough that it may not have been published yet, but these sites had to have gotten this info from somewhere (and the Martel et al article that they tend to cite as a source doesn't seem to mention Alpines at all).

If anyone could direct me toward a resource that goes into more detail (which doesn't have to be in English), it would be appreciated.

Not sure if it's the one you're referring to, but Martel et al 2014 at http://salamanderscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Science_Bs_paper.full_.pdf reports that they experimentally infected various amphibs including alpine newts (in which it was lethal).

Hope that helps,

Bruce

Coggie

Reaction score
Thanks, Bruce, I appreciate the input. I actually have seen that article, and I'm sure they probably did test Alpines in that study since they are such a common European Salamandrid. What I'm actually more curious about is a Belgian population described at this site:

Alpine Newt mortalities due to B. salamandrivorans | Amphibians.org

I know it's kind of a long shot that anyone here would know more about it than what is commonly available on the web, but with this being such an international community, I thought I'd try my luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!