Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pyxicephalus adspersus breeding attempt

Willlis

Reaction score
Well my little guys and galls are finally not so little anymore. I am going to try and make a breeding attempt with my 2.2 pyxicephalus adspersus. I tried them once before a few years ago with some different animals but accidentally dried out the females too much in aestivation. This time I will keep things just a little damper and hope for the best. During my last attempt I did have a male show breeding colors and call but he had nothing to breed with.
The plan:
-Put 2.2 pyxicephalus adspersus in a sterilite tub with a 50/50 mixture of ecoearth and sand.
-Wait until they all dig down in the substrate.
-Move the aestivation cage from the lizard room at 72-75 F to the cold part of the basement 60-55 F.
- Check on them weekly for 2-3 months
- If all is well place the aestivation cage inside of a breeding cage, basically a tank with some water, and run a rain bar over them for a couple of days hopefully bringing them back out and into the water to party.

Here is a picture of the group getting ready to take their big nap.:D
100_1931_zpsa138ef50.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!