Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Scuds Froze Over

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Late summer I collected some scuds from a local water way. The culture was really going like gang busters in the outdoor tub (along with a pretty good daphnia culture), but a few weeks back we had some pretty cold, as in the single digits, nights and the little heater couldn't keep up. The tub froze over with about 2 inches of ice on top and no air hole. The tub is about 30 gallons and now that the heater has been able to thaw out the ice, I have not seen any inverts in there. I am pretty confident the daphnia will start up again once the water temperature and day light increases, but does any one have any experience with this in regards to scuds? I figure time will tell, but I was interested in knowing if anyone knew the chances of the scuds making a comeback, be it eggs or maybe even a few well hidden adult survivors.

Thanks for any input!

HJ

willowcat

Reaction score
Wild harvesting for Scuds here in MN. is best done in winter time. Late winter ice accumulates algae. Scuds eat the algae that has grown on the bottom of the ice. They are harvested by the gallons. The ones we chase are Gammurus Lactrusis. Judging from your location you probably have Hyaella. You can grow green water in the winter. Give it shot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!