Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

E.tricolor breeding

xxianxx

Reaction score
My E.tricolor have been breeding, got three groups of tads/froglets and fresh eggs. The first pic is my adult tank with all the frogs unusually hiding, the second my tadpole tanks and the third pic is morphing frogs, have sixteen leaving the water atm. Nice easy species and good practice for when I get a few more

Attachments

• 14717061110851873220759.jpg
    14717061110851873220759.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 709
  • 147170622757117884321.jpg
    147170622757117884321.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 513
  • 1471706298267-2023682760.jpg
    1471706298267-2023682760.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 495

JoshBA

Reaction score
Awesome! I've been wanting to get some tricolors to add something new to my collection. I read they're a bit more difficult to breed than Santa Isabels, although 'difficulty' is a word that doesn't coincide with the care of that species.

I've been breeding E. anthonyi for a year now... it was interesting for a while but I'd like to move on to a more difficult species. They do make excellent captives though.

xxianxx

Reaction score
They breed readily with proper care, have fifteen morphed and a bunch of tads. Im moving more towards breeding mantella atm, my Golden's are prolific and im hoping my brown mantella breed soon. After that I intend to add a few more mantella species to my collection

JoshBA

Reaction score
Mantellas are really cool. I've seen several species offered captive bred by popular venders here in the states, most commonly the golden and green mantellas. They seem pretty underrated when compared to dart frogs, probably because they require more environmental stimuli to breed.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I'm surprised they are not more widely bred and kept in the uk, they are just as colourful as darts and don't kill each other which is a pleasant change from some species. Wc browns seem quite common in wholesale atm and cb from Holland are available commercially but uk breeders are thin on the ground. Decent care advice seems to be solely in the hands of Marc from Dartfrog , with the occasional wanabee expert regurgitating his care sheets. I'm in the process of tracking down a couple of experienced mantella keepers who have little online presence to get some help, you can't beat info from knowledgeable keepers with practical experience of keeping, breeding and raising a species rather than well read self proclaimed"pros".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1