My Best Caudata Photos of 2016

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hello everyone!

It has been a while since i've posted on here, but i thought i'd drop in to show you some of my favorite Caudata photos from this year. Some of these are wild Caudatas, some are my own.
I know its a lot of pictures (21 to be exact) but i couldn't manage to narrow down my favorites any further :p

By the way, i have a photography page on Facebook! Seth D. Erickson Photography is its name, heres a link to it: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=794805747315021&fref=ts
I also have a Flickr account you can follow; https://www.flickr.com/photos/137665678@N04
You can follow either or both of these and see my newest photos when i upload them, usually every other day for Facebook and once a week or so for Flickr

And without further ado, here are my personal favorites from this year, in no particular order, starting off with....

A wild juvenile Oregon Ensatina salamander, Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis.
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40016-juvenile-ensatina-e-oregonensis.jpg

Here is a wild larval Coastal Giant salamander, Dicamptodon tenebrosus
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40023-larval-dicamptodon-tenebrosus.jpg

Wild adult female Northwestern salamander, Ambystoma gracile
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40021-adult-female-ambystoma-gracile.jpg

Wild juvenile Northwestern salamander, Ambystoma gracile. This individual was super dark, probably the darkest i've seen
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40022-juvenile-ambystoma-gracile.jpg

My adult female Tiannan Crocodile newt, Tylototriton yangi, looking very fat as usual
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40019-adult-female-tylototriton-yangi.jpg

Wild juvenile Western Redback salamander, Plethodon vehiculum
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40020-juvenile-plethodon-vehiculum.jpg

My adult male Tiannan Crocodile newt, Tylototriton yangi
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40017-adult-male-tylototriton-yangi.jpg

Wild adult female Rough Skinned newt, Taricha granulosa
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40018-adult-female-taricha-granulosa.jpg

Wild subadult Oregon Ensatina salamander, Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40015-subadult-ensatina-e-oregonensis.jpg

Wild subadult Northwestern salamander, Ambystoma gracile
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40013-subadult-male-ambystoma-gracile.jpg

Wild juvenile Oregon Ensatina salamanader, Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis, same one as in the first photo
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40014-juvenile-enstaina-e-oregonensis.jpg

Wild larva Coastal Giant salamander, Dicamptodon tenebrosus
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40012-larval-dicamptodon-tenebrosus.jpg

Wild adult female Long Toed salamander, Ambystoma macrodactylum macrodactylum, and a pretty large one at that!
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40011-large-adult-female-ambystoma-m-macrodactylum.jpg

My adult female Rough Skinned newt, Taricha granulosa. I have high hopes for this spring, its my dream to breed these guys
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40009-my-adult-female-taricha-granulosa.jpg

Wild newly metamorphosed Rough Skinned newt, Taricha granulosa, the first one i found this year
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39721-first-taricha-granulosa-morph-found-year.jpg

My adult (female i believe) Mole salamander, Ambystoma talpoideum (you probably recognize this one haha)
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39717-subadult-ambystoma-talpoideum-best-shot-my-life-far.jpg

My adult female Rough Skinned newt again :p
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39709-adult-female-taricha-granulosa-asking-some-food-really-love-having-taricha-again-such-amazing-animals-full-personality.jpg

Wild larval Coastal Giant salamander, Dicamptodon tenebrosus
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39707-larva-dicamptodon-tenebrosus.jpg

Wild adult female Northwestern salamander, Ambystoma gracile
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39702-adult-female-ambystoma-gracile-one-my-best-photos-so-far-year-definitely-my-best-species-edit-not-anymore.jpg

My (smaller) female Tiannan Crocodile newt, Tylototriton yangi
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture38413-female-tylototriton-yangi.jpg

I don't like this one as much as i did earlier in the year...but what the heck why not. Two wild adult female Rough Skinned newts, Taricha granulosa
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture38303-two-adult-female-taricha-granulosa-very-happy-shot-first-several-nice-shots-taricha-granulosa.jpg

And that's it! Took me about 30 minutes to make this but it was worth it.
This community is awesome, from here i learned not only how to properly keep Caudates but also gained tips on photography and herping, and have gained many awesome friends, so i figure i ought to come back and post every once in a while.

Hope you enjoyed my photos and Happy New Year to everyone!
-Seth

Awesome photos, your photography has improved so much!

Also I'm glad to be one of those friends you gained, Seth :D

Perfect ! Keep it up man !
A little of criticism anyway : photo 9 f-number too low, photo 10 f-number too high
(according to my sense, no idea what would experts say)
good job

j.

Perfect ! Keep it up man !
A little of criticism anyway : photo 9 f-number too low, photo 10 f-number too high
(according to my sense, no idea what would experts say)
good job

j.

Thank you Juraj! Yes 9 is a bit too low, but with 10 its actually lower than i wanted. The goal in that photo was to show the animals habitat in the background clearly, but it is not clear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back