Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ideas For Housing in a 10 Gallon Tank

AnimalArtist

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to fill, and I was hoping I could put two species inside. I'd love to put a Pygmy Chameleon and one (or two) American green tree frogs. The Pygmy Chameleon is non-arboreal, while the tree frogs are, so I hope they would stay out of each other's way. I would likely hand-feed them to minamize contact between the two species, as well as adding lots of foliage to decrease visibility. They are also both around the same size, and they both require the same basic temperature in their enclosures. Humidity and tank height will probably be the biggest issues though, but I feel like with enough tweaking in the tank, I could probably make that work. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Or should I just go with the Pygmy Chameleon and leave it at that?
(Let me know if I got any of the info wrong! It's been a couple of weeks since I've read up on these two guys!)

merman

Reaction score
Sorry, have to say it's a bad idea. Unless you have a humongous tank and can set up an external fogger-mister which will will satisfy the treefrog side and allow enough room for the mist to dissipate before it reaches the chameleon side. This will take time and error. Next, you propose to feed them separately within the enclosure and constantly monitor what goes on between prey and predator. Do this twice a week for about five years, not counting periodic tank tear-downs to remove the bacteria buildup. And don't forget to closely monitor poo which could quickly cause disease if somehow ingested by the other species. But you will be watching them 24/7 in this container, right? Especially at night when they usually eat and poo. As you can see, this becomes a complicated zoo enclosure which doesn't represent any particular animal's natural environment and is a bear to keep up. Avoid this nightmare by enriching your chameleon's tank so it is happy. Research and find plants native to its region and be an expert on that. Always remember this when it comes to a single tank: Reptiles + amphibians = tank/keeper burnout + dead animals. good luck

Griffin8891

Reaction score
I would be afraid of housing any animal with frogs. Their appetites are too much. They'd always have the possibility of trying to eat tankmates, even if the perceived meal is too big for them.

ArnoldTheMander

Reaction score
Its never a good idea to house reptiles and frogs together. If you want a good comunity tank i suggest fire belly toads and ember tetras. The frogs are interesting and brightly colored and have a low waste ratio. While the fish are equally as colorfull yet still exciting.
best of luck on whatever you choose😁

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!