Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Changing the sand in an active tank

tundrabadger

Reaction score
So, in Virginia and Vita's tank there is a lovely soft brown sand....came with them when I bought the set up. the downside of this sand is it is almost exactly the same colour as axolotl poop, so I'm not catching it all the time. I'd like to put in white sand, which I have in Alexander's tank, which a) looks really nice and b) I can be halfway across the house, look in the direction of his tank and go "Oh, hey, poop. I should do something about that". Admittedly it's not a big house, but still.

Here's the problem...I have never change the sand in an active tank. Gravel when I had fish, sure, but never sand. Does anybody have any tips for how to go about it?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I'd imagine it's a super difficult thing to do while keeping the tank active. If you have a few buckets I would empty as much water as you can into buckets (or empty into a bath, maybe?) and put the axies somewhere safe. Then, get scooping. A scoop or plastic dustpan with a silicone lip might be able to pick up the most sand. Then when you're happy add the new sand and pour all the water back in (and a water change while you're at it).
Be ready for a cycle crash, maybe add some beneficial bacteria as soon as you add the new sand. If you're using the same sand as your other tank take a couple of handfuls so you bring in some bacteria.

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this sooner...work was kind of nuts last week and we were away over what, in Canada, was a long weekend.

Same exact sand as the other tank. I may have bought way too big a bag when I was setting that tank up and hung on to it in case I got another one going. I may or may not actually wind up DOING it, but it's good to have the advice nonetheless so thank you for it.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
No worries! Hope it works if you do it :grin:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1