Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Having Concerns About My Cycling

PeachyPlease

Reaction score
Hello! I seem to be having some issues with consistently cycling my tank recently. My Golden Albino Juvenile, Peach, lives in a 20-Long tank with a large sponge filter and fine, natural sand as substrate. About a month ago, the Nitrite and Nitrate levels were extremely high - 200ppm Nitrates and 5ppm Nitrites, which I had read about being deadly levels. I kept a close eye on it and talked with my Aquatics Expert at the Petco where I work. After a monthly full water change, the levels seemed to reset and have been extremely low ever since, which I imagine isn't incredibly healthy either. Peach has been acting normally and has a healthy appetite, which caused me to delay reaching out for information. Any suggestions for what I can do to stabilize the tank's cycle? I'll try to include some pictures of the Water Test strips I use and the results of a water test I did this morning. Thank you!

View attachment 54556

View attachment 54557

View attachment 54558

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I wasn't able to open the pictures, but if you're using strip tests they aren't entirely accurate so I would suggest getting the liquid test kids. API is probably the most popular on here.
Have you tried bottled bacteria to help it along? Or if a friend has an aquarium see if you can borrow some filter media and/or decorations to bring in some bacteria. This should help it along.
Do small water changes every week, nothing more than 20% unless ammonia/nitrite is high. The cycle will fix faster if you take the axolotl out as you can let levels get fairly high, so if you're able to rig up a temporary home for the axolotl (a tub with daily 100% water changes works) it may be easier in the long run.

PeachyPlease

Reaction score
Sorry about the pictures not working, they were pictures from my iPhone - not sure if that makes a difference at all, but I'm very new here. Thank you for suggesting the liquid test kits, I'm going to try looking into that the next time I'm out shopping. When I first started the tank, I had used Prime and Stability to get it going, which seemed to work well. I still have both of the bottles, if it would be a better idea to recycle the tank.
I have a five gallon tank set beside the 20 gallon tank he lives in now, so I could easily set that up and keep an eye on him while I fix the cycling in his tank. Thank you again for the reply!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You can also take samples to a fish/pet store if they do free testing until you get a liquid test kit. Prime and stability are what I use so I recommend them! If the 20 gallon hasn't cycled yet I would put the axie in your smaller one. Is the 5 gallon cycled or are you able to change the water daily?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1