Question: "Foam" filters and carbon mesh in a regular filter good?

colorfultrolls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cerrin Molkin
I am considering switching my tank to having these foam inserts and these carbon inserts as the regular disposable ones are starting to really build on the cost as I am having to replace them more often than I like.
(I can afford it but I prefer to cut down on costs where I can!)

Foam inserts: AquaClear 50 Foam Filter Insert (x2)

Carbon inserts: Aqueon® QuietFlow Specialty Carbon Filter Pads (x2)

Filter: Tetra Whisper In-Tank Power Aquarium Filter (Large) (x1)

Tank: 33 gallons.

Animal: One (1) Axolotl.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or preferred type of reusable / rinse-able inserts.

I like using the foam inserts in my HOB they last a lot longer than the filter pads that usually come with filters and they can be cleaned a couple times without killing beneficial bacteria by rinsing in dechlorinated/tank water. I cut down on costs for carbon filtration by buying loose carbon that I put in a nylon/pantyhose that I tie at the end, that I can loosen and replace the
carbon inside when needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back