Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

SueW

Reaction score
Hi, I`m Sue and I have 3 paddle tail newts. Not sure which variety they are as not specified when bought, but they have no orange or red at all! Will post a pic later.

They have all lived together for several years, but one has recently lost his front leg, not sure how it occurred, but taken right off to the body except for the bone! Really worried about the little guy, as although it is a very clean wound, his bone is extremely apparent. I understand that it may well grow back in time, but worried about the obvious care needed for him. Can anyone advise?

One of my other guys is underweight too, so I need to feed him up! They only eat frozen blood worms and dried Tetra Repto Frog Granules. I wish to vary their diet, so can anyone suggest anything suitable other than `live` food?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they really are paddletails (please post pics) then they are naturally aggressive toward each other. They may have co existed for a while, but the Day of Reckoning will come (and may have started with that missing foot).
THe thinner one might be being crowded out by the others and might not get to eat d/t that. You should really separate them.

Have you tried earthworms? THey really are the best food and easy to have available all year round.

Scroll down to "captive behavior"

scroll down to "health and illness"

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1