Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Do I have a mudpuppy or Eastern Tiger Salamander?

elemorie

Reaction score
A few weeks ago one of these little guys showed up in the bait tank where I work. I decided his best chance at living would be if I brought him home. The fish that were in the tank with him were too big for him to eat and I didn't want him to be sold as bait.

The problem is I don't know what he is. At first the guy that drops our bait off said he was a mudpuppy, but he is now saying that he's an Eastern Tiger Salamander. Most of what I've read says that they are very similar in looks, the only difference is that a tiger salamander has five toes on his back feet.

Neville (thats what I named him) has five toes on his back feet. That is basically the only characteristic that I can find that says if he is a mudpuppy or a tiger salamander. He looks like just about every picture of a mudpuppy that I can find. Thats where I get confused. Does anybody have any information that I can use that will help me figure out if he's a mudpuppy or a tiger salamander? I have a few pictures that I've taken which I am going to try to load to see if that helps.

Also, he is about eight inches long.

Last edited:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
"Mudpuppy" is a generic regional term that can be applied to any number of ambytomid larva and in some areas any aquatic caudate.

We would need a picture at the least, and even then identification can be tough. It is much easier after they have morphed to terrestrial phase.

Until then, I wouldn't sweat it. They all raise up the same way- just follow the axolotl guidelines and in a few months you will have a big tiger to feed earthworms to!

elemorie

Reaction score
These are a few pictures that I've taken. Sorry the quality isn't the best, they were taken with a cell phone.

Attachments

• neville.jpg
    neville.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 24,765
  • neville2.jpg
    neville2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4,204
  • neville3.jpg
    neville3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 15,974

elemorie

Reaction score
I've read that tiger salamanders may not always morph into their terrestrial phase. I've also read that it can take years for this to happen. Are either of these statements true

I forgot to mention earlier that he's about eight inches long.

JessKB

Reaction score
Definetly a tiger. If you do a search of necturus maculosus (real mudpuppy) the differences are very noticeable. As said above, follow the axolotl care sheet as its the same. lose the gravel though. The larva will swollow it and it will get caught in its digestive track.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can find a caresheet here, and a handy article here.

They may not morph, but that's pretty rare. Most morph that year, and a few will overwinter.

Lose the gravel.

x Lindsay x

Reaction score
Congrats - Tigers are great and I think you are lucky to get to raise it from its larval stage :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1