Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: advice needed on feeding my axolotl pls

sophieaxolotl

Reaction score
hi everyone,
my family and I are having a bit of a debate at the moment....
the thing is I have a axolotl about a year old or so and I think shes getting overweight but my parents disagree.

The thing i wanted to ask is that how many earthworms should i be feeding my axolotl?
we usally feed her 4 1-3times a week and I think this is to much so can anyone please help!

p.s. how many pellets should i feed her shes about 26cm long
-soph:lol:

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I would think that amount of earthworms is just about right. I feed my adult axies 2 large earthworms about every 3 or 4 days. This seems to be keeping their weight/size in proportion, of course they always look like they are starving by begging for food all the time!

As far as the pellets go, I'm not sure as I don't feed mine pellets. I would think the amount of worms you are giving would be enough to just give the pellets sparingly as 'treats', but I'm not sure, hopefully someone else will be able to advise.

As long as your axies tummy is about as wide as the head then they are getting enough and not too much food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1