Thinking of buying a baby Axolotl. Help?

Jadey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey i'm Jade, i don't know if this is where i'm meant to post this or whatnot haha so sorry if i mess up. :p

I'm looking at buying a baby Axolotl and i was just wondering what type of care do they need? Are they high matenince or low matinence animals? What do i need for him? other then the obvious things like a tank & food lol. Do they need logs to hide in etc? Is it ok to put coloured pebbles in the tank? What do they eat? Are they very dirty animals? Just anything & everything you can tell me would be appreciated! Thanks :happy:

Hiya
Welcome to the world of axolotls :D

Read through www.axolotl.org
This should tell you everything you need to know.
If you still have questions then get back to us

Mel

Thank you so much for that :happy:

But there are still a couple things i want to know, how dirty exactly are these animals? Do the tanks smell? I plan on putting him in my bedroom & i dont want to stink the room out haha. And is it safe to put coloured gravel in? I'd like to put a bright pink in there haha. :happy:

They are a lil bit messy but if you poop remove daily it should be fine.

They dont smell if you keep the tank clean.

Gravel is a no no (they will swallow gravel and will struggle to pass it). If its coloured sand then it should be ok. But you will need to double check whats in it.
If you see some you like and your not sure post the ingredients or make on here and someone will have a look for you.

Mel

they don't smell and I've found they don't poo every day...
As you as you clean the tank weekly or when they need to be clean it's all good.

They aren't as messy as a puppy, no worries ;)

Thank you :happy:
I was speaking to someone about getting one, and they said a friend of theirs use to have Axolotls & they had a habit of dying quick..? Is this true, or were they just a really bad pet owner

Axolotls can live well over 10 years, so I'm going to take a stab and say they were not properly caring for their animals.

Haha yeah thats what i thought.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back