Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caecilians

A

anthony

Hi i have the option to get one but would like to know how to identify which one it is,he she is about 15ins long and is pinkish with light grey bands,can anyone help thanks tony.

E

edward

This does not sound like a Typhlonectes.
It may be a Dermophis or a Geotrypetes. Is it terrestrial or aquatic? How thick is it?
If I get a chance on Wed or Thurs I'll try and post a couple of pictures of Dermophis.

Ed

A

anthony

HI ED
it is aquatic and about 1in in diameter.
thanks for the reply tony.

A

anthony

HI ANDREW
no its not as dark has they are more pinkish the light grey bands are about 1in apart.

M

mark

It sounds like it may be Potomotyphlus kaupii. I know these animals have occasionally been imported to Japan, but I have yet to hear of them appearing in any other countries - not that it is impossible though. Tim posted some pictures of this species a while ago. You could also try googling for this species. Hope this helps!

(Message edited by markreid on November 02, 2004)

E

edward

I agree, Potomotyphlops is a good possibility as it is aquatic. As they are from Brazil, which prohibits the export of all wildlife it would have to be a smuggled animal.

Ed

A

anthony

Hi ed
i don't think they are smuggled the guy at the shop said that there is more at the wholesale place and he is getting one more this friday,i will take a look and let you know if it is the same as the one they have now.
Thanks for all the replies tony.

E

edward

Well as Brazil has prohibited the export of all native species since the 1970s and does not grant permits for nonfish for the pet trade I am interested how they were legally exported. Ask for a copy of the import permit.

Ed

A

anthony

SAD NEWS
went to the shop to get caecilian was told it got out in the night and was found dead today.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!