Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP weird thing happening!!!

Newton Ramsey

Reaction score
Hello, so I just recently got my Red Spotted Newt about a week ago. First time tried feeding him mealworms because it said online that they eat that and mealworms were all I had at the time. Well that didn't go over too well, he (Newton) wouldn't eat them. So then I bought Red Wigglers. At first I gave him a whole one and he ate it just fine. The second time I fed him, the worm somehow lached onto a rock in his tank and pulled itself out of my Newts mouth. After retrieving the worm, I put both of them in a separate container with nothing at the bottom. Newton spit the worm out. I then cut the worm in half and gave him the part that moved the most (he only eats things that are moving) and he ate it, but he started making this weird motion. Like he was trying to swallow it but it was coming back up. I watched him carefully, and it stopped after a couple of seconds. I think I should feed him something else. It needs to be live and pretty cheep and easy to get. Any suggestions? I was going to get blood worms (freeze dried) but they were crazy expensive and I didn't want that to go to waste if he didn't eat them. My poor baby needs fooood!

Tarabull

Reaction score
Red wrigglers have a film on them that some salamanders find gross and won't eat. I agree with the try to feed it chopped up night crawlers.

Cloppy

Reaction score
You should go and get some nightcrawlers. Salamanders for the most part hate red wrigglers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!