Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl without filters

joncairns

Reaction score
Is it possible to keep an Axolotl in a large 'goldfish bowl' without a filter. I have recently purchased my first while on holiday and as a temporary measure I am keeping it in a large goldfish bowl with cabomba plant to ensure oxygen and I am doing three day part water changes (usually after feeding) .When I get home I will set up an aquarium but I wonder what benefit a filter will offer ?

:ufo::cool: :p ;) :confused:

oceanblue

Reaction score
I'd advise bigger, even total water changes with dechlorinated water on a daily basis as a temporary measure. The problem metabolite is ammonia, resulting from breakdown of protein. It is excreted mainly through axolotl gills and builds up even if debris is cleared out. The poisonous level depends on pH and temperature but without a filter it could rapidly prove fatal.

Filter is really a misnomer, its a sewerage treatment plant! If you want to run the tank without a filter you will need to commit to daily 20% or deeper water changes indefinitely. Read around housing on the associated axolotl site and this article on the caudata culture site: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Please avoid the gravel, it chokes axolotls so sub-gravel filters are not wise.

It is possible to run a tank without any obvious filters. I run two tanks absolutely stuffed with plants which metabolize all the ammonia instead of a filter, but it is a tricky setup to obtain and I used a conventional filter in both these tanks for about 9 months while I got the plants established.

Why not buy pH and ammonia test kits (and if the budget will stretch nitrite and nitrate ones as well), preferably the liquid based ones, and see what the results are?

Abrahm

Reaction score
The largest goldfish bowl I've ever seen is still too small for an axolotl. If you are keeping your axolotl in there temporarily you should be doing daily complete water changes to ensure there is no buildup of harmful waste products such as the ammonia that oceanblue mentioned.

It is possible to keep axolotls without filters, but if you are not using a filter the tank should ideally be quite large and frequent water changes should be performed.

Filters help remove all sorts of potentially harmful chemicals from the water. The general idea is that it lengthens the time between aquarium maintenance. If an axolotl tank needs a water change every three days without a filter, putting one in may lengthen that time to a week or more. Filters are a very useful safety net and allow your animals to thrive instead of being imperiled by one week's forgotten water change.

This article has a lot of useful information on filters. I have my own little article on filters and if you'd like to read it I can PM it to you.

joncairns

Reaction score
I'd advise bigger, even total water changes with dechlorinated water on a daily basis as a temporary measure. The problem metabolite is ammonia, resulting from breakdown of protein. It is excreted mainly through axolotl gills and builds up even if debris is cleared out. The poisonous level depends on pH and temperature but without a filter it could rapidly prove fatal.

Filter is really a misnomer, its a sewerage treatment plant! If you want to run the tank without a filter you will need to commit to daily 20% or deeper water changes indefinitely. Read around housing on the associated axolotl site and this article on the caudata culture site: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Please avoid the gravel, it chokes axolotls so sub-gravel filters are not wise.

It is possible to run a tank without any obvious filters. I run two tanks absolutely stuffed with plants which metabolize all the ammonia instead of a filter, but it is a tricky setup to obtain and I used a conventional filter in both these tanks for about 9 months while I got the plants established.

Why not buy pH and ammonia test kits (and if the budget will stretch nitrite and nitrate ones as well), preferably the liquid based ones, and see what the results are?

Many thanks for the valuable advise

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1