Some pictures of my new Axolotls

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
Here are some pictures of my Axolotl's my white is called bubbles and my albino has yet to be named by my girlfriend.
I have also attached a picture of my tank which will be upgraded in a couple of months

Any comments on health, age or tank set up will be appreciated although I know the pictures are not very good

Enjoy!!

Attachments

• DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 208
In the 3rd picture it looks like his gills are forward, which is often a sign of stress. What are all those black pebbles in the back of the tank? They look like they are small enough to be swallowed..which can be a major problem.

Her gills have been pointing forward for the whole time the other one is fine, I really do not understand my filter is small, turned down as low as can be and pointing towards the corner of the tank. She also spends most of her time near the filter.

I am worried for her she is not as happy, energetic, adventurous as my white, she has also eaten less.Although her head and body are same width I read this is good, she does move about but prefers to hide, she does have shiny bottoms to her gills but I read this is normal for albino Axolotl and I am sure it is not fungus.

That is the gravel I had before the sand There is some I still have to remove I know it is bad

Looking at the last picture I think I can see that she/he has ingested some of the black gravel. I appreciate it will be awkward to remove, but I feel it needs to be done . Once this is done I suspect every now and then you'll find some passed by your axolotl. When I got my first two I put them on a sand substrate....every now and then I would find a coloured glass bead.

Whats your temperature? Those gills are a little far forward.
Mel

My temperature gauge goes as low as 19 so i can only say for the majority of the day 19is the max temp, I have a mesh hood it helps and my night time temp reaches 20 maybe 21, I know this is not ideal but it is acceptable is it not? i have been syphoning the gravel away slowley but surely I am way too clumsy with net.

The higher temperature will be a problem as you are also having problems with ammonia. I feel that the axolotl need to be kept somewhere much cooler and out of the current tank until all the other problems are rectified. You could put them in the fridge .
http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml
Do keep asking the questions.

I have read and article on fridging,But do have some questions I don't want to hurt them.

I am off out to by a thermometer and some suitable containers.

In the article the container looked air tight, should I put air hole's in the lid?. will they need to be fed?,

And finally how long will I need to keep them there? and what do I do with my tank?

Hopefully someone is on line now I really am so worried

Hi Tom. Yes you need holes in the lid. Offer them some live bloodworm, you could leave them in a few hours. I would probably leave 4-5 bloodworm in at a time, and till they're eaten. You can fridge them for as long as you need. They can be in there months. You need to do a 50% water change, see if that sorts the water levels out. And remove ALL the gravel. Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back