Photo: Newly acquired babies, any and all advice appreciated

dragonlady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Shannon
Hi, just got in new juvies Mar. 9 and looking for any and all advice. Currently feeding well on frozen bloodworms. They range in size from about an inch to a little under 2" - the albino is the largest. The wildtype is the smallest. I also have 2 lucies. Sorry for the pic quality - only have a camera phone right now. Thanks to all who read this!

Shannon

Attachments

• newbabies.jpg
    newbabies.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 234
There is such a vast amount of information on axolotl care (on all stages) in this forum......please just make a quick search.
One thing i will say, is that i hope you are keeping them in something much bigger and with a MUCH BIGGER volume of water.

Yes, they were shipped in the container pictured. They are currently in a shoebox sized tupperware container with about 2" of water. I am preparing a 20 gallon long to transfer them into with a sponge filter - but did have a question about how deep the water should be. Have read that babies sometimes lose their bearings if the water is too deep - in that they end up only floating and not being able to reach the bottom. I've also read that daily water changes are necessary. I have been reading but it's hard to find specific info for this size - maybe I've been looking in the wrong spot. Thanks,
Shannon

hi shannon
i dont know the answers to your question because i have never raised babies. i just wanted to say they are sooo cute...someone will be able to help with the answers tho.
good luck with them
lea

Last edited:
a 20 gallon filled about half way up would be fine...if you use a sponge filter or something the axies cannot get caught in, that will reduce the need for water changes...but a daily 10% would be a good way to start off

Thank you, Lea. Your newest is just a beauty. My camera really does not do mine justice, will need to upgrade so I can document their stages.

Thank you Scizeric for your advice. I would have thought that would be too much water. I have to change the type of filter I planned to use though. I had planned on using a zoomed 318 but it emits too much heat and substantially changes the temp. I'll pick up one that utilizes an air pump instead of one that has a built in motor. More pics to come when I'm able!

Shannon

So sorry at first glance, I missed your helpful links! thank you! S

Hi! Your new babies are so cute! I am currently raising about 100 golden axies that are that exact size right now, and I would HIGHLY recommend getting a sponge filter. It will greatly reduce the need for major water changes, and you won't have to worry about the babies getting sucked up into the filter in-take.

My main recommendation for raising little axies would be: keep it simple. This will allow you to have more control over the water parameters and thus the health of your little guys. You can always create a more elaborate enclosure when they are a bit more mature.

This is just my two cents. You will get tons of great advice on raising little ones on this site. Best of luck!

I adore goldies! I currently own a 15 mo. named Tut pictured with my name. Thank you for your advice - I will be getting one tomorrow. Best of luck with yours - Hope you post pics! :D

Shannon

New, improved pics! ugh! can't get them to upload - sorry!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back