Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ice age tiger salamander

pete

Reaction score
I was forwarded this story about a major Pleistocene fossil find. I'm a big fan of the Pleistocene. Among the list of all the neat animals, the really cool thing I saw is that it includes one tiger salamander! I thought it warranted mention on the caudate news feed. I should like to see it someday.

Dozer Driver Makes Fossil Discovery of the Century

An artist's reconstruction of columbi sergiodlarosa -- a Columbian Mammoth.
An accidental discovery by a bulldozer driver has led to what may be the find of the century: an ice-age burial ground that could rival the famed La Brea tar pits.
After two weeks of excavating ancient fossils at the Ziegler Reservoir near Snowmass Village, Colorado, scientists from the Denver Museum of Natural Science returned home Wednesday with their unearthed treasures in tow -- a wide array of fossils, insects and plant life that they say give a stunningly realistic view of what life was like when ancient, giant beasts lumbered across the Earth.
Since the team’s arrival in mid-October, scientists have extracted nearly 600 bones from about 20 different animals from the Pleistocene era, a period of time during the Ice Age. The remains of up to six different species have been exhumed, including five American mastodons, three Ice Age bison, a Jefferson’s ground sloth, a mule deer, a tiger salamander, and two Columbian mammoths.

Read more: FoxNews.com - Dozer Driver Makes Fossil Discovery of the Century

Opacum

Reaction score
Fantastic story! Looking forward to seeing a picture of the Tiger reassembled in a museum. :cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!