Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some Frogs Pee Out Junk From Their Bodies: Live Science

pete

Reaction score
Wonder if caudates can do it, too?

Some Frogs Pee Out Junk From Their Bodies: Live Science

Charles Q. Choi
LiveScience Contributor
LiveScience.com – Tue Dec 7, 8:01 pm ET

Imagine some buckshot from a shotgun got stuck in your chest or you had a radio transmitter stuck in your side. If you were a frog, your body might be pristine a few weeks afterward - they apparently have the remarkable ability to pee out foreign objects, with their bladders engulfing the intrusions to help get rid of such junk, scientists now find.

No other animal until now has ever been seen using their bladder eliminating foreign objects embedded in their bodies.

Scientists originally implanted temperature-sensitive radio transmitters in three species of tree frogs in Australia to learn more about how temperature-regulating abilities in frogs might vary with the habitats in which they lived. Unexpectedly, after 25 to 193 days, when the investigators recaptured the amphibians to recover the transmitters, many of the devices - up to 75 percent in one species - were no longer in the body. Instead, the implants had somehow migrated to the bladder.

Read more: Some Frogs Pee Out Junk From Their Bodies - Yahoo! News

lexmiller

Reaction score
I just saw this on the newsroll on my blog. I think this is amazing and deserves more research. It just goes to show you that if amphibians are disappearing then WE must be trying REALLY hard to kill them off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!