Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Necturus cf beyeri questions

ekocak

Reaction score
I recently acquired 4 juvies. I read through a number of threads here regarding how to set them up, currently theyre in a 30 gallon thats about half filled, the water is 60 F, sand bottom, lots of flat rocks to hide under. Using a sponge filter, so very little flow. They're quite small, about 2" long. The breeder said they'd been feeding on white worms, black worms, fairy shrimp and chopped earthworms.

Tried chopped red wigglers last night, but so far, they seem to still be settling in. I ordered some live white worms this morning, should have them in a day or so. Any other ideas? No one in my area seems to have black worms at all, and I'm thinking they are too small for frozen foods of any kind. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Not too active unfortunately. Nectrus arnt a commonly kept phib, should be past threads you can read though. Surprised you can't get blackworm , they will be a source of food that will live in the tank, the whiteworm will die within a day or two. Can advise you on whiteworm culturing if you wish :)

ekocak

Reaction score
Thank you both for the info. I actually did manage to track down a shop across town that had live black worms, so I'm alternating white and black. So far, I haven't observed actual feeding, but if I go down to look at the tank at night, I do see them prowling around and hey seem to be quite active.

Infamous82

Reaction score
How are you feeding them? How much flow is in the tank? Sand or rock bottom? Plenty of cover/hides? I have 4 N cf. beyeri in a 55gal full to the rim on sand bottom with several hides and a standard hang on filter meant for the 55 they've flourished the last 4 years that I've had them. They have been fed primarily red worms with occasional batches of live ghost shrimp the entire time I've had them and I have to separate them as I'm feeding or they'll attack each other. When feeding I use tongs with an appropriate size worm or piece and that seems to do the trick. I would not suggest free feeding with these and I would use a primer or schedule to reduce the risk of them trying to eat parts off each other. They will grab onto a leg and do a death roll to rip it off and eat it, they do grow back though and rather quickly. I have a lamp next to the tank that when turned on they know its feeding time and come out from the hides and will attack each other if not fed within a few mins, but they leave each other alone at all other times. I also do not use a tank light and they're in a fairly dark room. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up and I'll do my best from my experience

ekocak

Reaction score
I started with 4, and lost 2 within a few weeks of receiving them, but I think this was due to small size, and some sort of illness. The remaining two are fat and healthy and now several months later are significantly bigger than the 2" babies I started with. They are in a 30 gallon long, with a sand bottom and numerous hides. They very much like some dead leaves as cover on the bottom. So far, they don't seem to mind each other, and I've not seen any aggression whatsoever, however if that happens later I'm prepared to separate them. Water is currently at around 65 F. (I keep all my amphibians in the basement, and it doesn't ever go much above that.) They flatly reject any non-live foods, but eat white worms, black worms, mosquito larvae and small chopped red wigglers with gusto. They're very shy, I don't usually catch them eating directly.

schmiggle

Reaction score
I'm really glad they're doing well, even though I had no advice to offer. :) Could you post some pictures (just for fun)?

ekocak

Reaction score
Still doing well. I've noticed they do seem a bit less active during the summer. I may have mentioned I keep everything in the basement, so it's usually in the 60's, but there have been a few really really warm days. They seem to handle it much better than their northern cousins though. They just sort of bury themselves in leaf litter and sleep it off.

velasco13000

Reaction score
hey, just imputing some of my own experience. I feed mine blackworms and they love them. keep them cool and clean and they will be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!