Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Maturity? Colour type? What am I?

IHeartCapnHook

Reaction score
The Lotls are almost 11 weeks old now. They all have back feet and legs. They range in size from 2.5" to 3" now.
Their dad is a melanoid and mom is white albino. That is all I know of the genetics.

When can you tell what their "true" colour will be? The past 10 weeks have seemed to be a daily colour change.

When can you tell what their sex will be? I read they reach sexual maturity at around 6 months, but can you tell sooner than that?

When I got them at about 1 week old, I got a baker's dozen so I would be able to grow them out and pick the cutest and friendliest ones. Most of the hatchlings were leucistics and wild types. My bakers dozen ended up with the 3 wild type being obvious. They are greenish. The 2 albino are very gold and one has more reddish gills than the other. They both have sparkling iridophores in body and going up their gills. The leucistics are ranging in freckling and I think I ended up with 1 that doesn't have freckles.
Then there is the odd-axolotl
I did a quick shiny-eye ring test and got no ring. So it would be melanoid? But it is so light in colour and not black? Any thoughts on what this one is?

Attachments

• Albino Looking.jpg
    Albino Looking.jpg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 350
  • Albino Length.jpg
    Albino Length.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Wild Peeping Tom.jpg
    Wild Peeping Tom.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
  • Mel Looking.jpg
    Mel Looking.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 279
  • Mel Length.jpg
    Mel Length.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Mel Profile Head.jpg
    Mel Profile Head.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 208
  • Mel face.jpg
    Mel face.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 217
  • Mel back.jpg
    Mel back.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 215

IHeartCapnHook

Reaction score
I was able to get better pics right now :) And a cute albino face :)

Attachments

• melly.jpg
    melly.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Mel profile.jpg
    Mel profile.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 257
  • sunny face.jpg
    sunny face.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 212

Jessdino

Reaction score
Could definitely be a melanoid. Fun fact! Melanoid axies can actually change colors. Lighter substrate or tanks on light surfaces can cause them to be a gray color. But dark substrate or dark surfaces will cause them to darken up. I had my melanoid on white sand when I got him and he was a lighter shade. Once I switched to black sand he went jet black and half the time I can’t see little toothless in his tank. He’s hiding! But that could explain the lighter gray tone.

Biev

Reaction score
I would think the first one is a leucistic golden albino, or whatever you call an axie with both aa and dd genes. Iridophores are on the gill stalks.

Hellcat73

Reaction score
yep the greyish one is a Melnoid..its easy to know a mel by the INKY solid black eyes with no eye shine ring or shiny flecks on the body.(simplified version).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1