Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cohabitation of typhlo natans

SwissAxie

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a large adulte typhlonectes of unknown gender. He/she is about 25 inches long (at least).
I have now succeded in getting two smaller ones, brothers/sisters, whatever. They are about half the size or even smaller.

I have a 240L tank (120x40cm that is 47x15 inches). Can I put these three guys together without a risk of agression by the big one on the smaller ones or should I keep them separated ? The big one has lived alone for a while but used to be together with his/her siblings a until a few years ago).

Thanks for the advice.

Chamaeleo

Reaction score
Hi,
T. natans is not territorial, so she (based on its size the big one's probably a female, but until I can't see a photo about its cloacal region, I'm not 100% sure) won't be aggressive to the newcomers, but be sure, so clean the tank before you put the smaller ones in it. And they are not cannibalistic: they look for food by chemoreception, so what smells like an other T. natans, that is not food, whatever how small they are. If I was wrong let someone make me correct!

SwissAxie

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for the answer.
I know about the cloacal region... but I never could figure it out. I do guess its a female, but I don't have a picture for you. I will try to get one when I transfer the animal one of these days...

micstarz

Reaction score
I think it would work...but I'd personally keep the younger pair separately for a quarantine period beforehand, if they are newly acquired they may have to get used to being in captivity and may carry pathogens that your older resident caecelian hasnt been exposed to...

SwissAxie

Reaction score
Hey,

In the meantime, my three Tyhlo natans have been peacefully living together for several months. Indeed, no trouble occurred, just as Chamaeleo suggested. Thanks.

As for the sexing of them : The big one is a male, and the smaller ones are one male and one female. I could figure that out finally after I found a website with nice and clear pictures.

Now I'll be waiting for a few years hoping they'll reproduce :)

Barbara

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!