Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Chomp-a-lotl

hypno monkey

Reaction score
hi so my little chubster has been at it again. He has chomped Auroras back toes I have since moved her to her own tank with fresh, cool water. She has been eating fine and still uses her feet but just wanted to post to get some input and see if there is anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance
Jade

Attachments

• DSC00192.jpg
    DSC00192.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC00195.jpg
    DSC00195.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC00193.jpg
    DSC00193.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00197.jpg
    DSC00197.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC00198.jpg
    DSC00198.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 235

sheena22

Reaction score
Chomp a lotl! She will be fine, your axie is a bit of a cannibal, are you going to return the to the same tank x

Crysta

Reaction score
It may be a good idea to introduce more plants - fake or real as long as they provide alot of coverage - maybe a grass type. - more barriers in tanks prevent aggression and also reduce the possibility of them being around each other - and therefor mistaking each other for food.

The damage looks pretty clean cut, keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't grow fungus - keep the temps low and the water at optimal quality. It's only a small amount of damage, I think you can expect to see re-growth in a month or two :)

Have they got a hide between them? or maybe more? I think one hide each will do them well, axolotls only tend to ambush eat so if there's a place to hide away (which they love anyway) then there's less chance again of them being mistaken for food.

The world would be so much better if axolotls could see better +_+

arnichol

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my two females. The larger of the two took a good chunk out of the other's tail. I'm worried that I'll have to keep them separated, but I also have heard that they start craving companionship when they get to about a year old. Do you think it would be alright to separate them until they are both at least a year (which will be August :sick:) or would they still have aggression issues?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!