Can I put my lotl in a cloudy tank?

mooflakes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I just got a new tank (40g thanks to the petco sale) and I added sand and it's very cloudy. (considerably less cloudy since I put the sand in, though.) It's been a couple days and the poor thing has been in a tupperware the entire time.

tumblr_nit3c8VrTa1r8oot5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nit3c8VrTa1r8oot5o2_1280.jpg

My iphone camera isn't the best as you can see on the rim of the tank so it looks a LITTLE more cloudy than it is. :)

The water parameters are fine.

Also, I'm considering getting another lotl (an adult so he doesn't eat it). Is that a good idea in a 40?

I think you could fit another axolotl in there. My inclination would be to wait for the water to clear but I understand being impatient and wanting to get him in his new home and out of the tub. I noticed that you only have a sponge filter in there and I wonder if that might be too small for a 40 breeder. Maybe adding a HOB can help provide both the extra filtration needed, but trap the small sand particles in filter floss/sponge.

I think you could fit another axolotl in there. My inclination would be to wait for the water to clear but I understand being impatient and wanting to get him in his new home and out of the tub. I noticed that you only have a sponge filter in there and I wonder if that might be too small for a 40 breeder. Maybe adding a HOB can help provide both the extra filtration needed, but trap the small sand particles in filter floss/sponge.

I ordered a larger up-to 40g sponge filter and I'm not really sure what a HOB is. :eek:

HOB == Hang on Back. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back