Cloudy tank water?

gracieprice23

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two juvi Axolotls in a 20 gallon long tank that eat like pigs and seem perfectly healthy. The tank has been up and running with perfect water test levels since 3 weeks before I got the juvis and 2 1/2 months or so after I'd got them. That being said the tank has been running almost three months now but it seems to get increasingly cloudy. I do almost 50% water changes every Friday but it seems to bring no difference in the water's cloudyness. Is there a reason the water is so cloudy? There also seems to be a good bit of slime clinging to the tank walls and hides. I'm new to axies so I'm not sure of the best method to use to keep clear water! Anyone have any ideas?

It's typically caused by bacterial blooms caused by over feeding (so I've read) I have used API accuclear with great success but I'm sure some people will advise against it . The cause of cloudiness is bacteria not dirtiness typically . As long as your parameters are ok then I would just live with it . It shouldn't harm your axoltls . Also a SMALL amount of aquarium salt COULD help but I would be very careful adding salts if your not experienced. This is just my experience and you should probably wait for a second opinion before doing anything drastic

Please do not add salt unless you want to cure fungus under controlled conditions.

Once I cycled a tank for my catfish. After two weeks the water smelled like wet clothes and got cloudy, too. It turned out the sand contained organic matters, I didn't wash it thoroughly enough.
Since there were no animals in the tank at this point, it wasn't a big deal. I just had to do a few water changes and the cycling took more time.

What is in your tank? Are there decoration items, plants, sand…? What's the temperature, what are the water parameters? What and how much are you feeding? The more information, the better. :happy:

Try to do more water changes, about 20% to 30% every three or four days. I'm afraid your tank isn't cycled yet - don't underestimate how leftover food and the poop of two juvis can mess up the water. ;)

I have had the same issues. Have you got an air stone in the tank?
My tank cleared within days of putting one in after weeks of regular water changes did not seem to be having much effect.

back off a little on feeding. See if you can boost the biological component of your filter or upgrade. Accuclear is a crutch. Minerals are good for axolotls. I add 1 tablespoon of marine salt per 10 gallons to all of my axolotl tanks. The salt probably will do little to clear up the cloudiness but is good for the animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back