Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Axolotl stuck inside aquarium decor!!

MoniWonton

Reaction score
My axolotl, Rocket, climbed inside of a hole that was in a root decoration in my tank. That was over six hours ago... He hasn't come out all day, and I'm beginning to think he is stuck. My other axie used to swim in and out of this decoration frequently, but has since overgrown it. Rocket is much fatter than my other axie so I do believe he has gotten stuck. They are both large juvies, about 7-7.5 inches, and have verocious appetites. Rocket missed meal-time today, and being the fatty he is, he NEVER skips a meal. Any ideas to get him out? The pic attached is of the hole in the decor with my other axie coming out of it about 2 months ago. They are much larger now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 6,526

Donna001

Reaction score
Um, I've not had to deal with this sort of thing before, but do you know which way he is facing? They can reverse, but they don't seem to be good at it. Perhaps it's worth using a torch to see where and how he is stuck.
I'm guessing the ornament can be moved, so when you know which way he's facing you could move the ornament through the water in the direction that will help him to reverse back the way he came.
Have you also tried holding food at his tail end to see if he will reverse out.
As a last resort I guess you could slowly pull the ornament out of the water and hope that gravity helps him to slip out.
If you can use a torch to see how he is, and let us know, perhaps more people will have more ideas.
Best of luck.

Kilolotlkeeper

Reaction score
If your careful you can use your hands, but be extremely careful, and like Donna said use a flashlight to see if it would be safe first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1