Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Depressed axolotls?

selenaelise

Reaction score
Hi! I have a question about my axolotls. I didn't get them from a breeder, I rescued them from a woman locally who wasn't properly taking care of them. I initially only wanted one but ended up with two, a male, and a female. I got them in July and was told they were 5 months old, and wouldn't reach sexual maturity until they were about a year and a half(ish) old. About a week ago they kindly laid me some eggs. The eggs are fine.. but it looks like the parents may not be. I put a tank divider in about 4 days ago. I read somewhere on here that they can lay 15 days apart? (not sure how accurate that is lol). Neither of them have eaten since then and they spend all their time looking at eachother through the screen, and trying to swim under and around to get to each other. It kind of hurts me to see.. they've been together their whole lives and I think they miss each other. would it be cruel to keep them apart? or would putting them back together stress her if she tries to lay more eggs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would put them back together and just make sure they have good nutrition. You don’t have to hatch out all those eggs, you can just culll them or I don’t know if they will eat them if you just leave them in the tank.

selenaelise

Reaction score
Thank you! I ended up moving him to a very temporary 10 gallon. I move next week & will give him a proper set up very soon. I didn't want to stress her out if she tried to lay more eggs. thankfully, she only laid about 60 eggs (I think because of her age and it's her first). I decided to keep them and once they're raised, I'm gonna keep a few males and a female as friends for them. I'm planning to have a whole male tank and a whole female tank. :) she doesn't mind being alone but I can tell he misses her. he used to stuff himself in the hide with her, and he always wanted to be by her when they slept.. poor little guy! (also, I totally didn't mean to post this in introductions lol. I am very new to this site and it's very confusing and hard to navigate ��) x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!