The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 3rd May 2018   #1
Ferretz

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ferretz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl gillís frills are small

Hi, the frills on my axolotlís gills are small, is this a sickness or is it ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF7B00FC-EAF3-4E0B-92C9-30B256FD768A.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	917.8 KB
ID:	53062  

Ferretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2018   #2
Mackiot

Nationality:
Rep: Mackiot has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Axolotl gillís frills are small

small frills can be a number of things, from genetics, to highly oxiginated water, to there being too much ammonia in the water. one of the first things i would do is test the water to make sure its not the ammonia burning them away, and if it is i would work on fixing it right away. Her gills look a little curlled in the picture(a sign of stress), so i would make sure its not your water quality affecting her, though it could just be from water flow or some other factor (i dont know your set up)some people have told me it could be affected by diet, an axi on worms is going to be healthier and have fluffier gills than an axi on pellets.
it worried me for the longest time because mine had small gills when i got her, i thought maybe they had been burned away a little bit from the build up ammonia from being shipped(she got delayed and was in the system for three days ;D; ). they grew back a little, but not a lot. talking with different axi owners and my breeder, it turned out to be her genetics, she looks just like her daddy. shes still a very lively gal and i love her, short gills and all.

Mackiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2018   #3
Ferretz

Nationality:

Ok, I checked the ammonia which was ok, and did a water change, so do you think itís probably genetics?

Old 4th May 2018   #4
Mackiot

Nationality:
Rep: Mackiot has shown reliable knowledge

Best way to find out if it's genetics is to contact your breeder and ask. You could just have high oxygen, or if you recently got him some of it could have been burnt away from ammonia being in a small bag(IF you had him shipped) really there's a lot of factors that could go into short frills/gills. Ask your breeder if it's genetic, if that's not it I'm not too sure other than the oxygen and water parameters.

Mackiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018   #5
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I agree to above, if it's not genetics it could be water parameters or oxygen. What do you have in addition to your filter that could be creating oxygen? Airstones or sponge filter?

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018   #6
Ferretz

Nationality:

No, nothing other than the filter.

Old 5th May 2018   #7
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Okay that shouldn't be creating too much oxygen then, as long as there isn't too much water flow. Water parameters or genetics then

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, gills, sickness