Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this light enough for my plants to grow?

loublue

Reaction score
Hello! I have finally bought a new lamp for my aquarium that is specifically for plants, but it's only 4 watts and it's a LED lamp. It has red and blue light. It's installed on the right side in the cover so it's less light on the left side of the aquarium, in case my newt wants to avoid it. The lamp is around 20 cm up from the water.
Is this enough to keep low maintenance plants alive? They barely survived before with an old aquarium light. I want them to at least grow. At this time I have waterweed (Elodea canadensis) and Anubias. As I mentioned in my other thread my amazon frogbit seems to be dying that I got recently, but it was a little frozen when I got it in the mail unfortunately, so maybe that's the biggest reason.

rhotle

Reaction score
What is the kelvin (k) count for the light? And is it full spectrum? I had some brighter fluorescent lights and they were fine for a few low-maintenance plants, but I upgraded when I planted some more. Also are you adding CO2 and nutrients to the tank for the plants?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!