The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 25th January 2019   #1
Shiroxzs

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Shiroxzs is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Axolotl eating plants

Hello!
Iím pretty new to this site but slowly getting used to it.
I bought an axolotl a few weeks ago , itís only months old.
Kept in an 18 gallon tank (cycled)
The day before yesterday my axolotl which I named momo ate some of the Marimo moss ball I put in the tank. After eating it his stomach became blue and kind of started bloating in seconds. I freaked out so much and didnít know what to do so I contacted someone who owns axolotls.
They told me that the axolotl can digest it and itíll just pass but Iím still kind of worried.
Today I fed momo (frozen bloodworms) and he ate it all but his stomach became more blue again. And he havenít pooped ever since he ate the plant.
So I am worried and not sure what to do :/

Shiroxzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl eating plants

Can you post a picture of Momo's belly? It could be stomach contents, or the liver. How long ago did it eat the plant? If it's been a few days without pooping you could fridge the axolotl as it could be impacted.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2019   #3
Shiroxzs

Nationality:

He ate the plant last Wednesday, since then I havenít seen any poop
I was afraid of feeding him but I thought maybe it could help him so I fed him yesterday a bit
And yesterday he ate some more of the plant as well. He then stayed in one spot and didnít move at all for about 10 - 15 minutes.
But now heís just swimming and moving around like normal.

Thank you for replying to me !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20609EF5-D0B2-4779-AE7F-9A2290B692B1.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	54914   Click image for larger version

Name:	65EFBAE3-359D-4C86-B80C-644B90D73C52.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	54915  

Old 28th January 2019   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

The colouring looks okay from what I can tell. That big blob I believe is the liver. The belly does look a little distorted which could be some impaction from the plants. I would remove the plant if the axie keeps eating it. Is he accepting food from you? Try fridging for a day or two (or until the axie poops) to help it along, I can attach the guide if you need it, otherwise it is on the sick axie page on this website. Alternatively, wax worms dipped in some olive oil is supposed to help digestion.

Old 30th January 2019   #5
Shiroxzs

Nationality:

Good news!
Momo finally passed it all out.
And yes I removed the plant , he’s all better now and looking fine again.
He never stopped eating it’s his favorite thing to do CX
Thank you so much for replying to me ! ♡

Old 31st January 2019   #6
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Glad to hear! Wishing you and Momo the best :)

Tags
#axolotl, #help, #sick