Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls.

Isabella81

Reaction score
Hey pals,

So I left my sister taking care of my axolotls while I was on vacation, and when I got back my axolotls weren’t in the best shape. I obviously don’t blame her because they aren’t her animals. But after I took them home, my female wild type had some white fuzz on her gills and I haven’t been able to get rid of it. I don’t want to do salt baths, do you have any tips? My male looked fine, just a bit thinner then I would’ve liked, but after a couple weeks, his gills kind of disappeared, like he scratched them off or something. He doesn’t have any fuzz tho. I also keep them in different tanks and try not to mix their water or anything. So I have no idea what’s going on. I’m thinking stress from moving and I’m moving again soon, so I’m nervous they might not do well. What should I do about them, and do you have any tips on moving them. I wanted to put them together soon in a big tank.

Thanks!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
For the one with the fuzz I would do salt baths. It's the fastest and most effective treatment. You just need aquarium salt, which most fish stores should sell (or online). You can do tea baths alternatively, but they haven't worked as well for me.
Can you test the water? The gills shrinking is often caused by poor water conditions, which may have happened while you were away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!