The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 8th April 2019   #1
noodlenoo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: noodlenoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tips for harvesting fruit fly larvae

One of my red efts loves eating the soft worm-like fruit fly larvae, though he won’t touch the actual fruit flies. Any advice for harvesting them out of the culture? I sometimes am able to scrape off some of the larvae that creep up the cup sides but find that most of them turn to pupae very quickly.

Would it be possible to scoop out the culture and sieve out the worms, or is there a better way to harvest the larvae to use as food? Would the culture material be harmful to newts if ingested?

noodlenoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eft, feeding, food, fruit flies, harvesting, larvae